Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2012, 05:55 AM

Smile It's time to face the music!

I've come to a final conclusion. I'm just not cut out to be a Pro tools user! I don't know what possesed me to think that I could. Well, as far as I'm concerned, It's over. I'm just to old and my nerves can't take the stress of never being able to start a session and finish it without problems! I started this as a hobby. Something that I enjoy doing more than any thing else in the world. Making music. I'm going to continue making music. I'm going back to my faithful Alesis HD24 that never lets me down. To all of you people on the DUC who have been kind enough to offer your help and suggestions, I sincerely thank you and wish you all the satisfaction that music and recording can bring. I'm not blaming anyone but myself for my failure, but it's time I admit , It's me! I just don't get it and now it appears that I never will. If it's ok, I will still drop in from time to time because of the knowledge that is available here. I've learned a lot and I thank you for that.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:20 AM

If your able to produce results that you like on an Alesis ADAT then to learn PT why no treat it like a digital tape machine. Record the same way and as time goes on try new things. There are some great books on PT and recording in general that would help you I'm sure. If you have knowledge on recording these books help bridge the gap to computers.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:25 AM

Wink Re: It's time to face the music!

well Terry, i started out years ago using a horrible thing called the AMS Audiofile, and if you think Protools is shizer, try one of those. BUT, I learned its nuances, haha, and made it work for me, and won many awards for sound design on that abomination. Its takes time no matter which machine your using. keep trying. you'll miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:16 PM

Default Re: It's time to face the music!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt kirk View Post
you'll miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
Eyee captain.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-26-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wetzel View Post
I've come to a final conclusion. I'm just not cut out to be a Pro tools user! I don't know what possesed me to think that I could. Well, as far as I'm concerned, It's over. I'm just to old and my nerves can't take the stress of never being able to start a session and finish it without problems! I started this as a hobby. Something that I enjoy doing more than any thing else in the world. Making music. I'm going to continue making music. I'm going back to my faithful Alesis HD24 that never lets me down. To all of you people on the DUC who have been kind enough to offer your help and suggestions, I sincerely thank you and wish you all the satisfaction that music and recording can bring. I'm not blaming anyone but myself for my failure, but it's time I admit , It's me! I just don't get it and now it appears that I never will. If it's ok, I will still drop in from time to time because of the knowledge that is available here. I've learned a lot and I thank you for that.
Its too bad, but if you keep making what you love, then who can blame you. Hope you the best sincerely.

Wave-T.com
Old 01-26-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt kirk View Post
i started out years ago using a horrible thing called the AMS Audiofile...
Quote:
You must have worked with Dick and Roger.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 01-26-2012, 04:52 PM

Have you tried to use any other program, such as cubase, reaper, or even garage band? Whilst the user interface in Pro Tools is great, it's certainly not the easiest program to use with all it's 'peripheral' necessities.

I'm not young by any stretch of the imagination either Terry so don't let age be a reason for throwing in the towel. It took a long time for me to get to grips with the digital age having been brought up in an analogue one but the things that have been made possible by this technology is just too good to be missed in my opinion. I found the biggest hurdle to climb was the fence I'd mentally constructed around myself. It wasn't until I finally embraced the concept of computers themselves that I finally realized that for the most part, all programs are essentially the same. Sure they all do different things, but there are underlying concepts within each program that fit into computer technology which they all have in common. Pro Tools is no different in that respect. So to understand Pro Tools properly, I believe it is imperative to have a solid comprehension of computing fundamentals. Younger folk take this for granted as they've been raised through school with it at their fingertips from the beginning. But I don't think anyone is ever too old to learn.

Having said that, I can understand your decision. I would be lying if I didn't say there has been many times where I could have given up. The only reason I didn't is because I opened other programs from word processing to games and started to learn on them. Ultimately it was they which gave me the confidence to dive back into Pro Tools. Of course my love of playing music gave me the motivation.

Alas, such is the pity my geographical location disables me from popping in to give some encouragement, physical and technical support as I believe that is all you need.

Whatever your choice though, I wish you well sir. As long as the music you make is heard and felt by your own heart, then that is what is truly important.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 01-26-2012, 10:36 PM

^^^^ +1

Many did not start on their DAW of choice. I started on Logic, and then went over to Cubase (and like them both, a lot). I switched to PT after taking a course, which at the time was only offered on PT LE. I pouted about it but ended up loving PT. Had I not taken that course I'd probably be on the Steinberg forum right now.

Quote:
I'm just to old and my nerves can't take the stress of never being able to start a session and finish it without problems! I started this as a hobby.
Using a DAW is no different than using an Alesis HD24 in this regard: There is no one size fits all tool for making music. So I say before giving up try another DAW, or have someone hone in on specific tech issues that are hindering you from running PT sessions. FWIW, being a hobbyist, a DAW like Cubase 6 or Reaper, which both have licenses/versions under $100, may be just right for you and your computer. (PT has always been stable for me but I won't pretend to live in a world where it is not overall considered, compared to other DAWs, the pickiest to use with p'See and some Macs).
Old 01-29-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Don't go,... just get Kenny Gioias videos, and you will be happy you did. LOTs of great stuff. There are some other good ones out there as well... ff
Old 01-29-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Eyee captain.
YUP.. Remember the "Pro Deck, Pro Edit" days? Pre-Protools:) That was the REAL bummer:) Be glad you did not have that to deal with on a 40 mhz computer with only 4 tracks of audio for 15k. I was a DP user for years and started to use Protools full time in early 2001 for EVERYTHING.. It's been really reliable and sounds better than anything else. I also like the fact that the deliverables all go out much faster these days and they all want Protools to finish in Hollywood, so it makes sense to save a step and not create OMF's all the time from DP. I usually end up using my TDM plugins in Protools to mix anyway, which always sounded better than Native. Good luck with all of your work though and hope you decide to stay at any rate, as I think there is no rush to learn this stuff especially since you said it was a hobby for you.

Regards, G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS