Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 09-05-2014, 08:05 AM

Default Recording external sound module using PT MIDI data

I am using a Yamaha DTX532K electronic drum kit which I am running into Pro Tools 10 via a MacBook Pro. I am happy with some of the stock sounds from the kit and am happy to use these for my recordings, the issue I’m having is recording the sounds out of the sound module. I am running the MIDI via USB and the audio outs into the Apogee Duet interface, and I can hear the sounds I want. I need to record the MIDI in to PT first so I can edit the performance, then run the MIDI through the sound module to record the edited audio. Simple right?

So the issue I have is that when I playback the MIDI the sounds I get are not the sounds I selected from the brain when I recorded the original unedited performance. I have set PT’s MIDI output to channel 10 which gives me a GM drum sound, if i change to other channels I get other instruments. So how do I let the brain know what sounds are needed to be played back?

I have read both manuals and have looked everywhere for an answer, what am I missing?
Old 09-05-2014, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Recording external sound module using PT MIDI data

Check the devices send channel and match this with a PT MIDI track - that's input. The device is receiving on channel 10 so match this on the PT MIDI track output. Record arm. OSX, have you patched the device in Audio MIDI Setup?
Old 09-05-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiserableTrumpet View Post
I am using a Yamaha DTX532K electronic drum kit which I am running into Pro Tools 10 via a MacBook Pro. I am happy with some of the stock sounds from the kit and am happy to use these for my recordings, the issue I’m having is recording the sounds out of the sound module. I am running the MIDI via USB and the audio outs into the Apogee Duet interface, and I can hear the sounds I want. I need to record the MIDI in to PT first so I can edit the performance, then run the MIDI through the sound module to record the edited audio. Simple right?

So the issue I have is that when I playback the MIDI the sounds I get are not the sounds I selected from the brain when I recorded the original unedited performance. I have set PT’s MIDI output to channel 10 which gives me a GM drum sound, if i change to other channels I get other instruments. So how do I let the brain know what sounds are needed to be played back?

I have read both manuals and have looked everywhere for an answer, what am I missing?
If the kit MIDI allows you to then assign each kit piece to its own midi output channel and then set up a corresponding MIDI input channel on PT to receive the data from that channel..so Kick on MIDI 1, snare MIDI 2 etc..or whatever works for you. That will put each kit part on its own midi channel. Then for playback, simply set the MIDI outputs of each PT MIDI track to match the kit part you want it to play. You can then edit each part independently as you desire. I'm assuming you can, in fact, assign individual MIDI channels for both IN and OUT on the Kit?

If not, you should at least be able to assign the KIT to a specific MIDI channel and then specific MIDI notes will trigger specific kits part. Typically C1 is Kick, and C2 is snare etc...or something like that. I can't imagine you can't assign the kit parts to whatever MIDI note you want to trigger them on play back. I'd suspect you can assign specific MIDI channels per kit part too....but I don't know that particular gear. Hope that helps a bit. Good luck.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiserableTrumpet View Post

I don't know exactly how Yamaha sets up their programming on this unit but see if you can send a program change from PT to the brain to select the soundset you want. It would probably something like a program bank and program thing. That is assuming the DTX accepts external program changes. What you're running into is the thing that PT's data stream has no idea of what you selected as far as a soundset on the DTX; that requires manually entering a program change event in PT.

QAPLA!