Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2006, 09:26 AM

Default What is the best way to spot a movie in ProTools

I'm a composer and get QuickTime files with a window burn/visual to score to. What is the best way to spot this movie in PT?

A lot of times I have the music started and need to spot the video to the music time code. I import the quicktime and go to a certain frame number in the visual tc. For example, 00:02:00:00. I put a sync point at that spot in the movie track. I then go to 'Spot' in PT and click on the movie track and spot the sync point in the spot mode dialog box. This usually starts off right, but as I move through the film clip I get off by a frame. I know my movie and session are at the same fps. I believe it is off by some sub frames which isn't that big of a deal unless I am making some hit points. It mainly drives me crazy.

Is there a better and more accurate way to do this?

When the editor sends me changes to the film clip, what is the best way to import the new clip the fastest and easiest way so I can line it up quickly and get back to work?

Thanks.
1 TB PCIe flash storage
Pro Tools Ultimate HD 2023.6
HD Native Thunderbolt
Old 03-30-2006, 01:31 PM

Default Re: What is the best way to spot a movie in ProTools

I feel your pain. This seems to be a common problem with no (as yet) solution. Try editing your movie to the exact start time you want it to be at and then spot the whole clip instead of using sync points. I've had better luck that way.

Or, you can set your sync point and spot the sync point to the frame you want. Then go in and nudge it until it lines up eith the t/c numbers in PT.

George Spanos
Old 03-31-2006, 03:10 PM

yeah i get the same problem.

when i spot the sync point it seems it throws it out by 1 frame.
so i re-place a sync point and spot it a second time, then it works.
this was a problem with pro-tools 5, and now that i've upgraded to a hd2 system and an m-audio laptop system, i still have the same problem.

i really through this bug would have been fixed by now......

the only way i check it accurately is to change the nudge to 1/4 frames and check that way.
but yes, very very frustrating.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:33 PM

I think there is a bug in the latest version which manifests itself with spotting quicktime movies. Often if you turn on nudge to 1/4 frames you can move through the movie until you find the frame edge, I generally then put a sync point so that I can then spot that frame edge to the correct timecode point. However, in the latest version of PT, it will not let you put a sync point on a QT movie unless it is a frame boundary on the PT timeline, rendering the ability to spot with 1/4 frame accuracy useless.
You can try this test. Import a movie that does not have the frame boundary on a Timeline boundary. (for example the frame boundary for the movie is off by 2 1/4 frames.) then move the cursor to the frame boundary with the nudge setting set to 1/4 frames and place a sync point there. save the session, close it and the re-open the session. You will notice that the sync point has now moved to the PT Timeline frame boundary.
I agree this needs to be fixed. There is a workaround which is to spot the movie then nudge the whole movie by 1/4 frames until the frame boundary matches. Then all will work as expected.
hope this helps
Simon L.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:55 PM

if you have a burn in, the fastest way to spot the vid is to simply grab it in spot mode and type the number that you see on the burn in. I used to do the sync point thing as you described, until i realized this simpler way.
then, to go for accuracy, I set nudge value to 1/4 frame and move to vid until the burn and the pt timecode advance frames at the same time.

www.tompaul.com
Old 04-10-2006, 01:42 PM

before you claim its a bug... Make sure that the video frame edge matches the protools timecode frame edge... If someone captures the video with matching the frame edge the video can seem off by a frame in places even though you "sync'd" it.... You can check this by setting the frame grid to 1/4 frames... Now step thru the 1/4 frames and see if the frame timecode changes on the correct 1/4 frame. You might find that the frame Timecode switches on one of the internal 1/4 frame points and not the actual Frame edge... If you, slip the picture file on 1/4 frame at a time until the frame edge matches the timecode frame you are good to go.

This might solve your problem....

cheers
geo

Hilton Media Management

Film Doctors http://www.filmdoctors.com
Me... http://georgiahilton.webs.com/
Stage 32 http://www.stage32.com/profile/6569/georgia-hilton
My Production Company http://www.hiltonmm.com

CREDITS (partial) http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0385255/resume
MEMBER: IATSE LOCAL 700
Old 04-12-2006, 12:10 AM

Quote:
before you claim its a bug... Make sure that the video frame edge matches the protools timecode frame edge... If someone captures the video with matching the frame edge the video can seem off by a frame in places even though you "sync'd" it.... You can check this by setting the frame grid to 1/4 frames... Now step thru the 1/4 frames and see if the frame timecode changes on the correct 1/4 frame. You might find that the frame Timecode switches on one of the internal 1/4 frame points and not the actual Frame edge... If you, slip the picture file on 1/4 frame at a time until the frame edge matches the timecode frame you are good to go.

This might solve your problem....

cheers
geo
This behaviour is different to the way it worked pre 7.1 and I have confirmed that IMHO it is a bug as it works differently depending on whether a track is an audio Track or a video Track. It is also very annoying. Sure I can make it work as you describe but it used to work correctly, hence my observation that it is, infact a bug.
regards
Simon L.