How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2019, 03:59 AM

Default Pro tools hanging with midi notes

Hello everybody

I'm quite new to the world of pro tools. I'm experiencing a frustrating behaviour with my midi controllers. I have found similar posts over the years, apparently without a permanent solution but I try to ask you anyway :)

When I use my midi controllers (M-audio code 49 and/or Arturia keylab88) Pro tools randomly hangs with midi notes.

While playing or recording, the issue starts with keeping a note on "infinite sustain", then it's not possible to play anymore and after a while the whole PT gets "frozen".

The only way to "unfreeze" it is by turning off/disconnecting the controller(s) (but when I turn them back on they're not recognized until I reboot completely PT).

It seems it's occurring with some VIs only and with some sounds only (sequencing or arpeggio sounds).

It's occurring randomly, it can be ok for hours and then it suddenly freezes.

Based on my previous research, I've tried to:

• Change USB cables / USB ports
• Trash the settings
• Unplug sustain pedals
• Disable USB power saving options
• Change the buffering value in the audio interface (a presonus studio 1810)

I've also noticed that when I don't put my code 49 in mac/hui mode the issue is not occurring (but maybe it's just a coincidence...)

Ah, and it is happening on two different computers, so the problem is definitely with the controllers.

But the same controllers work 100% with other DAWs.

Any suggestion?

Many thanks!

Momo
Old 05-06-2019, 04:18 AM

Default Re: Pro tools hanging with midi notes

To start off and make things easier to stop the hung notes check to see if there's a panic button on the vi being used; pushing this should stop hung notes.

Some plugins are known for hanging notes and can suffer from, but are not limited to, a stuck sustain pedal or not getting a note-off or a full sustain on/sustain off sequence.

T check if it's your keyboards get one of the free MIDI monitoring utilities. You don't say if you're on a Mac or Windows but for Macs look for snoize and Windows MIDI-OX. Run them and work your keyboards to make sure they're spitting out the expected MIDI messages. To save your sanity do this with one keyboard plugged in at a time.

QAPLA!
Old 05-06-2019, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
To start off and make things easier to stop the hung notes check to see if there's a panic button on the vi being used; pushing this should stop hung notes.

Some plugins are known for hanging notes and can suffer from, but are not limited to, a stuck sustain pedal or not getting a note-off or a full sustain on/sustain off sequence.

T check if it's your keyboards get one of the free MIDI monitoring utilities. You don't say if you're on a Mac or Windows but for Macs look for snoize and Windows MIDI-OX. Run them and work your keyboards to make sure they're spitting out the expected MIDI messages. To save your sanity do this with one keyboard plugged in at a time.
Hi musicman,

Many thanks for your tips, I will try.

I'm on Windows on both computers.

And it's happening when I use hybrid/loom , Chtulhu and Arturia Analog Lab VIs

Momo.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo80 View Post
Hi musicman,

Many thanks for your tips, I will try.

I'm on Windows on both computers.

And it's happening when I use hybrid/loom , Chtulhu and Arturia Analog Lab VIs

Momo.
You'll want MIDI-OX then.

Back when I ran a Windows XP system using Sonar 8.3 for recording duties MIDI used to hang on a regular basis. You could always tell when that happened because in the Windows status bar on the lower right where it shows what's running there would be two little dots that showed that MIDI for whatever reason was hung up. It was so bad that even ctrl/alt/del aka the 3 finger salute wouldn't clear and the computer wouldn't shut down so it was hold in the power button until the machine shut off.

QAPLA!