Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 02-28-2009, 12:55 AM

Default Re: Asus P6T6 WS Revolution*All PCIe!!!*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullsound Recording View Post
Yea, But sometimes folks need the PCI slot for a UAD1 card or somthing

I am going to build a Dual quade core soon. Not sure what board yet.
That is why God made UAD cards in a PCIe variety! And that is why he has a crossgrade policy.

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro
Old 02-28-2009, 01:04 AM

[quote=sunburst79;1359962]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxMan2150 View Post

Nvidias actually been quite problematic with both the 6 and 7 series chipsets with PT.

I beleive the FW card is on the Digi approved list also. It's the ADS PYRO 1394 PCIEXPRESS model API-316. I got mine at MicroCenter.

I need to point out one thing. The higher end ASUS boards like this that have the full complement of 6 DIMM slots have a issue while launching PT LE with firewire interfaces while running XP Pro x64 (you need to pull a stick of RAM in order to get PT to launch). I suspect that this will take a BIOS fix by ASUS. The USB interfaces work just fine with XP Pro x64. I would like to point out that this is not a factor using the Digi approved 32 bit operating systems. I will be trying to talk to ASUS tech support about this Monday and make them aware of the issue.

The Gigabyte X58 UD3R works just fine with PT, Firewire and XP Pro x64 along with the ASUS P5K Deluxe, the Intel IDG45IG and the ASUS P5Q SE2. So the issue mentioned above seems limited to the 6 DIMM slot ASUS boards like the P6T and the Revo.

So far the i7 stuff seems to working pretty well on the LE side. And the RTAS numbers at the lowest buffer settings are just stupid.

I'm assume that it would run HD PCIe just fine but have no way of testing it.

This board has lot going for it. Built in SAS for streaming video. The ability to run HD5 PCIe Accel. Room for multiple high end video cards if your work involved using programs that could offload rendering to the GPU's. You could even run a PCIe UAD card.

With the exception I mentioned above I am stoked about this board.
Yea nvidia chipset sucks as far as the audio world is concerned.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
I would wait until Mac issues the new i7 based Mac Pros and Digi has approved them and then look for a board that is as close as possible.
I can't wait until Intel releases a Xenon-class Nehalm chip. Then Asus can incorporate that with the all PCIe workstation. Wow the possibilities.........

Old 03-08-2009, 03:53 PM

take care if boards donīt have pcie-1x or pcie-4x slots! most of the 8x and 16x donīt work with pthd pcie-cards!

Old 03-08-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmworld View Post
take care if boards donīt have pcie-1x or pcie-4x slots! most of the 8x and 16x donīt work with pthd pcie-cards!
Why would that be? Its supposed auto negotiate the lanes and all that at the bus level. First I have heard of that. Can you point me to a post were thats discussed or Digidesign is saying that?

Better tell all the Mac Pro users with their HD3 rigs. All the slots are X16 and there are no issues I'm aware of. There are no problems with the cards in PCIe 2.0 slots vs earlier Macs with the PCIe 1.0 spec.

I'm not saying your wrong-just that seems illogical and very unlikely

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 03-09-2009, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmworld View Post
??? So that counts out the 8x and 4x slot in the Mac Pros then (Which is made by Intel), and the x16 that is in the HP workstations? Really!!!???

Old 03-09-2009, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Why would that be? Its supposed auto negotiate the lanes and all that at the bus level. First I have heard of that. Can you point me to a post were thats discussed or Digidesign is saying that?

Better tell all the Mac Pro users with their HD3 rigs. All the slots are X16 and there are no issues I'm aware of. There are no problems with the cards in PCIe 2.0 slots vs earlier Macs with the PCIe 1.0 spec.

I'm not saying your wrong-just that seems illogical and very unlikely
Yea. PCIe 2.0 was made with PCIe 1.0 in mind. There should be no compatibility issues.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-ManLA View Post
Yea. PCIe 2.0 was made with PCIe 1.0 in mind. There should be no compatibility issues.
Oh yes I realise the spec is backwards compliant. As I said it seemed very odd. You get your board yet?

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 03-09-2009, 10:05 AM

iīm talking about TDM Systems on Windows PC here! macs might manage that different.

most motherboards X16 and X8 slot donīt work, cause they donīt downgrade to x1, and i tested that! even x4 slots, and mobos that say that their X16 and X8 slots also work as x1 donīt work!

there might be some boards that work, but iīve tested most of the available ones. so far no luck! could also be a winxp/vista problem.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Oh yes I realise the spec is backwards compliant. As I said it seemed very odd. You get your board yet?
No I don't have the cash. I want one soo badly though.