Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 04-10-2016, 11:48 PM

Default Project Versioning under the "CLOUD"

Hello All,

I just signed up to use the "CLOUD" and so far so good! It is good to be able to collaborate real time with someone remotely. Fairly stable thus far. However, I can't see a way to save all the versions of my PTX files without creating new projects, thus, exhausting all my storage with just "one" project.

Lets say I started on a new project for a client, and I call it Cue_XXX_160410.PTX. Usually, i keep all my previous projects files, just in case a client decides to go to an earlier version of the project. And that happens a lot. So, if tomorrow I create Cue_XXX_160411.PTX, as far as I understand, it would have to be a new PROJECT under the cloud, as opposed to just a new session data to pickup where I stopped from the previous project.

To the AVID folks out there, is there a way to do versioning of the same project so I can potentially go back to earlier dates other the the backup files? Save multiple "session data PTX" files under the same project?

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Cheers,

Roger

MacPro 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 - Pro Tools Ultimate + HD Native + HD OMNI
MacBook Pro 2.9 GHz i7 16GB Ram (Retina, 15-inch, 2016) - Pro Tools Ultimate + Apollo Twin
iMac 27" 3.4 GHz i7 32GB Ram (Late 2012) - Pro Tools Ultimate + Mbox Pro (3rd gen)
Old 04-11-2016, 01:27 AM

Default Re: Project Versioning under the "CLOUD"

Create local copies. Cloud project is always the latest one.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:07 AM

janne, are you saying you can change the Project File to a Session File ??

i ask this because we have 3 free sessions (projects) in the cloud .. is the OP saying that we cannot do incremental sessions (projects) in the cloud ??

i am going to have to watch and read more about doing this - changing sessions to projects and projects to sessions .. this might be a moot point if we cannot upload a new version as it would mean more than 3 projects in the cloud ..

john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 04-11-2016, 09:07 AM

Of course you can save a copy in local hard drive (if you're not using PT|1st)
Old 04-11-2016, 10:17 AM

But every time I copy a project to the hard disk, it copies the whole audio folder too in order to have everything I would need. Not very space effective. With Dropbox, I have many session files within the same ptoject folder. They're all pointed to the same audio assets, thus saving lots of space. I will post a screen shot when I get back to the studio.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 2.9 GHz i7 16GB Ram (Retina, 15-inch, 2016) - Pro Tools Ultimate + Apollo Twin
iMac 27" 3.4 GHz i7 32GB Ram (Late 2012) - Pro Tools Ultimate + Mbox Pro (3rd gen)
Old 05-05-2016, 09:59 AM

Agreed. I can't see any reason why there couldn't be a "Save Project As..." just like there is a "Save Session As...".
Old 05-05-2016, 01:34 PM

The whole point of cloud storage is having the latest version out there somewhere. You only get 500MB if you don't pay extra. So store the extra copies locally.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:24 PM

Hey JFreak,

I understand that! Thats why I save versions, and all the versions share the same assets, catch my drift?

So instead of duplicating the projects and all of its assets, I just modify the session file to its latest date/version, that way, I can track all my versions prior to the final, and they all share the same audio folder. I do that in Dropbox and it works great! But thanks for your input anyway!

Cheers