Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2013, 07:43 AM

Default Re: MBox Pro, Win 7 - 10.3.6 and 11.0.0 - playback engine does not support sample rat

So I have reinstalled the driver (again) and am showing 1.1.8, but still get the "playback engine does not support 44.1 (or 48) sample rates" (depending on the session I try to open). These open fine in 10.3.6.

Avid Support - should I uninstall 1.1.8 and install the previous driver. And if so, will it support PT 10 and 11?

Or is a 1.1.9 driver in the works. Threads suggest I'm not the only one with the troubles.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:28 AM

Default Re: MBox Pro, Win 7 - 10.3.6 and 11.0.0 - playback engine does not support sample rat

Just an FYI. I have a Digi 003R and I am having the same problem in PT 11 only. PT 10 is fine. I have uninstalled the latest 003R driver and reinstalled. No help.

I rolled back to the legacy driver to no avail. Same problem. There’s got to be something in the x64 PT 11 code I would think.

I have only seen reports of “ the playback engine is not compatible with sample rate 48KHz” error with the Eleven Rack and the M-Box on the Avid forum to date. There may be other audio interfaces I am not aware of.

You can select another playback device but it may not perform/sound as well as your preferred device.

I have been opening PT 11 using the Reaktek playback device that came with my computer in a 48KHz session and then switch devices after the session is open with no problems.

I think when you do this you may have access to your preferred playback device for the selected session. If you want to go to another session you may have to switch devices back and forth again. This is what I have been doing anyways.

To be honest. I'm not sure if switching playback devices after you have opened a session in PT 11 actually switches the devices.

A Windows audio technician I spoke with believes it does.

Lou

Update: If I open a 48 KHz session in PT 10 "FIRST", the 003R Playback Device allows me to open the same session in PT 11. Thought I would pass it along if it will help someone with a similar problem.
Avid Pro Tools Carbon, Eleven Rack (ERXP 2.0.1), Neve Shelford Channel, SSL Fusion Analog processor, Avid S1 Control Surface, Yamaha Montage 7 (also used as a MIDI controller), Korg Prologue 16 and Adam A7X Monitors.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.6, Logic Pro, VEP 7, Exponential Audio. Eventide, FabFilter. iZotope, McDSP, MDW, Softube, Sonnox, Soundtoys, Waves.

Last edited by luken26; 08-16-2013 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Update to 48K issue
Old 11-04-2013, 10:52 AM

I'm having this problem as well, running Pro Tools 11.0.2 on Widows 7 pro 64 through an Mbox Pro (3rd Gen) I have installed the latest drivers, tried removing the Mbox from being the default playback device and also attempted to open the session in PT10 (which works perfectly) and then in PT11. The session is in 88.1 and have tried changing the sample rate manually through the Mbox control panel however I still get the message, it is also impossible for me to create a new session in Pro Tools 11
Old 11-04-2013, 11:07 AM

I found a solution in this - in Win 7.

Go to your Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) - go to Services and "stop" Windows Audio and Windows Audio Endpoint Builder.

[This will have a side effect of stopping you from listening to YouTube videos and such, until you restart Windows or until you go back to Task Manager and turn 'em back on again!]

Then re-launch Pro Tools and the session. You should be able to load and listen to any session you want, at any sample rate.

Evidently - this little Windows service mucks with PT settings.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlights View Post

Go to your Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) - go to Services and "stop" Windows Audio and Windows Audio Endpoint Builder.

[This will have a side effect of stopping you from listening to YouTube videos and such, until you restart Windows or until you go back to Task Manager and turn 'em back on again!]

Then re-launch Pro Tools and the session. You should be able to load and listen to any session you want, at any sample rate.

Thanks, I'll try that out now. little annoying that I wont be able play music/videos, PT10 allowed me to do it, why not 11?
Old 11-04-2013, 11:22 AM

You just have to turn the Services back on - after your PT session is done - then watch any YouTube and such (turn it on before launching your browser seems to work best).

You can go back and forth all day, as you wish. It's a bit of a hassle, but I tend to find I open PT for 2-4 hours (I'm just a hobbyist), then go back to websurfing and such.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:55 PM

Thank you so much for the tip about the stopping the Windows audio services! That just saved my night.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:41 PM
Space Cabin Audio

You can also disable the AVID soundcard in the control panel.

I think this should be a high priority fix, but since it's been broken for so long, I guess it probably is not

Kris
May the music move you
Old 12-11-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:

I was getting the exact same problem as others have noted, regarding the playback engine. (Pro Tools 11.2.2, Windows 7.1, M-Audio ProFire 2626). I stopped the Windows services you mentioned, and bingo! I am now able to load any session without that error. Thanks very much, lowlights, for posting this solution.

--Doug
Old 12-11-2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:

I found if you stop Windows Audio service Midi in/out does not work properly so it needs to be running as far as I can tell and there maybe other issues as well.

Windows will often 'grab' the interface when first installed and cause problems such as locked sample rate or 'the device is in use' errors.
In the control panel Sounds, see if your interface is there and disable it for recording and playback, yes that is for Windows and does not need to be active for PT to function.