How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2012, 11:21 AM

Default Asio4all 88.2 playback issue

Hi there,

I'm trying to get a portable rig set up so that I can do some editing and rough mixing done on the go. I am working on an album at the moment which is being recorded in 88.2/32bit float and for some reason I am unable to get any playback from this sample rate and this is becoming really irritating. The asio4all control panel provides some possible solutions such as turning off all windows sounds and deleting unused inputs/outputs, all of which I have done. I have taken a look in the sound settings in windows 7 and I noticed that I can change the sample rate there with the options from 44.1-192Khz, however 88.2 is missing from these options. I find it a little strange that my on board soundcard can do any sample rate up to 192 but not 88.2. Does anyone have any experience with this that can help? or am I just going to have to take it as a loss. However, and don't quote me on this, but I am sure that I have had successful playback before on a session before, but I could be dreaming.

By the way, I am using a dell xps 18z with the built in realtek audio running W7 Professional Sp1 and Protools 10.2, I can provide a sandra if you think that maybe of use, but I don't have my laptop with me at this moment.

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Asio4all 88.2 playback issue

I don't hold much love for ASIO4ALL, or much hope that it actually works above 48K(but others may have better news there). First thing I would do is test your system with another interface, that does NOT use ASIO4ALL and see if the issue goes away. If it DOES, that kind of points to ASIO4ALL. If it doesn't work with a "real" interface, then the computer itself may be the issue(posting a Sandra report is never a bad idea). Maybe the solution would be a modest 2x2 interface that is capable of 88.2/96K(one usually accompanies the other) with its own ASIO driver?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-22-2012, 10:32 AM

Default Re: Asio4all 88.2 playback issue

Thanks for your reply, unfortunately I cannot plug my current interface into my laptop as it does not have a firewire port however, I have tried to use my old line 6 Toneport UX2 as a test device, but that was not capable of 88.2. I did think of buying a fairly cheap/small interface and I probably will do in the future, but It would be nice to be able to work without having to carry round an extra piece of gear, especially since the vast majority of work I would be doing is editing/comping and general mix prep.

I have a feeling that 88.2 just isn't supported, I will try to open a session in 96Khz and see if I get playback there. Also, if it matters, ProTools does operate as expected, the meters move and it is obviously playing, I am just unable to hear.

I will post a sandra report later tonight.