Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2009, 08:57 PM

Default how to install 2 different versions of protools on one computer?

hi all! i've got 2 protools setups: 1 protools hd setup i use in my studio, and 1 m-audio setup for my laptop. unfortunately, my 192 i/o is doing that thing where you get static in one channel, except it's in EVERY CHANNEL. so, till i can come up with both $300+ bucks to repair it, plus ~$400 for 2 round trip tickets to jakarta (and the nearest licensed digi technician) i'm gonna have to use my m-audio setup for recording, and my hd system for mixing.

however, while i have a license for both protools hd 8.0 AND protools m-powered 8.0, i cant seem to install both on my system. the install setup routine wont seem to let me choose the install path during installation, so they two versions just continue to write over each other. is there some trick i'm missing here to do this?
Old 06-23-2009, 10:22 PM

Default Re: how to install 2 different versions of protools on one computer?

HI,

I know that PT LE and MP are safe to use on the same System, but I don´t know about HD and MP.

Anyway, a workaround that works is this:
if you have an external HD, clone your System Disk with something like Carbon Copy Cloner, Disk Utility or what ever to it and install a PT Version of it.

I also suggest asking in the HD Forum or mail Digi-Support directly.

best
Old 06-24-2009, 01:09 AM

off the top of my head; have you tried moving the digidesign folder out of the applications folder when installing the other system?

(as opposed to make music :/ )
Old 06-24-2009, 06:00 AM

I never tried this but as I recall all of the programs need to be the same exact version number.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 06-24-2009, 07:02 AM

It's also possible that you could partition your boot drive and have one partition for MP and the other for HD.

As far as the static that your 192 is offering up, can you describe that problem further?
Old 06-26-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesH View Post
off the top of my head; have you tried moving the digidesign folder out of the applications folder when installing the other system?
yeah, it works ok i guess but if i click on a protools file directly from the finder it can't find the application then, so i have to open protools first, then command-o to find the file afterwards. not the end of the world i guess, and probably the best solution proposed so far, but not being able to click open sessions is a pain in the *****. it sure would be easier to just choose a different install path somehow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmitch View Post
As far as the static that your 192 is offering up, can you describe that problem further?
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=245682

it's a constant static, sounds more like digital glitching than radio static or white noise (though some channels sound more white noisey than others) i understand it's not an uncommon problem...