How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2016, 06:45 PM

Default Moving multiple playlists up or down with selecting a Group

Hey this is a strange thing.

Say I have a drum group comped, 4 takes each kit piece.

When I am in playlist view, the kick has 4 takes, the snare has four takes, and the overheads have 4 takes.

And say there are 2 blank playlists per kit piece.

When I want to move Take A(kick, snare, and overhead) to the empty playlist, the alignment gets messed up. The snare Take A and the overhead Take A wind up in the playlist spot directly below the kick Take, instead of moving in a parallel motion, and in their own Tracks.

How do I move all of Take A in unison up or down a playlist lane cleanly?

And is there a way to expand alternate takes to EXISTING playlists, and PT just adds more playlists lanes as needed?

Thanks for reading
Old 01-04-2017, 04:42 PM

Default Re: Moving multiple playlists up or down with selecting a Group

Hmm maybe I'll rephrase my question.

Is there a way to move regions that are not next to each other vertically (ex. Select a region from track 2, and a region from track 5) and move them up or down, while maintaining the relative position.

(Region from track 2 would be on track 3, and region from track 5 would be on track 6)
Old 01-04-2017, 07:50 PM

You're confused enough that you have me confused too. The best(and usual) way to use Playlists is to promote to the top, not to an intermediate other playlist.

I do drums a lot with playlisting and with drum tracks grouped(just as you are doing). I also do a small track naming "trick" where my first playlist(before adding for new takes), each track is named with .01(so its Kick.01, Snare.01, Hat.01, etc). By doing this, I know that my first take is all the xxx.01 playlists. When I create a new playlist(for take 2), Pro Tools will automatically name the new playlists as Kick.02, Snare.02, etc.

So, now lets say I have 4 playlists for the entire kit(each pass is numbered so I know which take is which). What I do(and I understand you may have different needs) is put the best take as the top(or MAIN) playlist. Then I listen thru to see if any spots need to be replaced from another take(playlist). If I do, I will highlight the clips and promote them to the top.

An alternate method would be to(after all takes are recorded) create a new playlist that will become the "comp" and promote from your recorded playlists onto this new set.

The common denominator in all this is; clips are promoted up to the top. To promote from any playlist to another playlist that is NOT the top, highlight what you want to promote, Hit Ctrl-C to copy, then use the p and ; keys to move the cursor up/down to your destination playlist and hit Ctrl-V to paste. Hope this helps

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-05-2017, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esppse View Post
How do I move all of Take A in unison up or down a playlist lane cleanly?
You could try selecting all the clips with the Grabber Tool in Object and then move them.
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 01-07-2017, 12:45 PM

Thanks for the tip guys, I am actually comping it the way Albee is saying, but what I'm doing here is a different and weird situation. I also had no idea there was an Object grabber!

Anyways I figured it out:

Activate group
Highlight cluster of playlists
Suspend group
Drag playlist cluster up or down
Then reactivate playlists

Now the playlists of all the different tracks move symmetrically!