Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2019, 06:24 PM

Default Pro Tools Ultimate + DigiLink License.. 64 Channels using ASIO, true or false?

I want to get 64 channels of audio over AVB into Pro Tools using the Motu 1248 and then be able to use the audio outputs on the 1248.

Is it possible with Pro Tools Ultimate and a Digi-Link I/O License without HD Hardware to open PT up to 64 channels input recording simultaneously?

Has someone actually achieved this?

Many Thanks.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:51 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Ultimate + DigiLink License.. 64 Channels using ASIO, true or false?

Not going to work. The only way to get 64 IO(at this moment in time) is to use an HD/Native card(or Thunderbolt box) or HDX card and 64 channels of IO connected via Digilink All other hardware configs are stuck at 32(with exception of Avid's live consoles). If anybody knows otherwise, please prove me wrong(I'm okay with that)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-24-2019, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Ultimate + DigiLink License.. 64 Channels using ASIO, true or false?

If you want 64 x 64 of Dante you need Digilink and an Avid MTRX with a Dante card or third party stuff like two Focusrite Rednet HD32R units. And be careful what sample rates you need the Dante to run at.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:46 PM

To the OP:

A firm No

You don't seem to understand the point of the Digilink license. It is there to authourize the use of hardware interfaces that connect via digilink connectors. These connectors are only found on HD Native cards/HD Native thunderbolt box and HDX cards. If you are using the HD Native card/HD Native thunderbolt box, you can access 64 i/o. If you use HDX, you can access 64 i/o per HDX card.

Using ASIO or CoreAudio you are limited to 32.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Yes, that is a pretty simple rule. To go past 32 i/o limit you need HDN/HDX period. But sure, that DigiLink license might confuse people. Doesn't make a difference on i/o count though.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
To the OP:

Yep! Thought (hoped), the 2019.n update would have solved this, but no. And now with the HDX6 possibility with the new Mac Pro platform to come I believe that the HDX is here to stay. Unfortunately.
by the looks of it, seems that avid will be more likely to squeeze the crap out of the HDX platform, than getting the 64ch without the digilink “dongle”...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Seas View Post
by the looks of it, seems that avid will be more likely to squeeze the crap out of the HDX platform, than getting the 64ch without the digilink “dongle”...
Is there a need to change this? You can have 32 i/o with standard software, with Ultimate you can have 64 i/o with HDN and more with HDX. Pretty straight-forward to me, just pick the tier you need and go.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Seas View Post
Yep! Thought (hoped), the 2019.n update would have solved this, but no. And now with the HDX6 possibility with the new Mac Pro platform to come I believe that the HDX is here to stay. Unfortunately.
There is nothing to "solve." This is Avid's choice to create tiers. I have no idea why you would think they would do an "update" to change their choice. They could, tomorrow, open up the channels available with no work. They choose not to.

The digilink is not a "dongle." I thought I had explained that in my previous post about the license. Avid likes to sell hardware. This is how the incentivize buying hardware.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:42 PM

I made the suggestion to folks at Avid that they tie an optional increase in IO as an add-on to the new optional increased track count. No idea if they will pass that idea up the chain, or drop it in the trash

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-26-2019, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Is there a need to change this? You can have 32 i/o with standard software, with Ultimate you can have 64 i/o with HDN and more with HDX. Pretty straight-forward to me, just pick the tier you need and go.
My main issue with it is cable runs to the machine room, digilink is limited to 50' and 16ch per. So you can have HDN TB, but for a multiroom dante setup either Focusrite Red or RME Dante is better because you get DSP with app control (awesome for headphone mixes), this is vastly superior to low latency monitoring on the TB HDN card. IMO even superior to dedicated personal monitor mixers because it doesn't add any latency, no sample rate issues, minimal cabling, cheap ipads, tracks can be named and mixes can be adjusted on the ipads or in the CR.

On the HDX side, if you need more than 50' to the machine room, you are then stuck with a noisy HDX card and TB-PCIe chassis in your control room.

The whole point of Dante to me is to have much more simple cabling, fiber options (for both grounding issues and long runs) and full network flexibility. Avid doesn't really have a tier here currently. I get the idea of tiers, but I think they need to offer an I/O pack (which is also a tier).