Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-09-2006, 03:29 PM

Default ProTools keeps shutting down

I have tried opening old sessions and starting new ones. The sessions open but after I record something and then hit stop ProTools shuts down. I thought maybe a virus but I am not connected to the net. I've tried resarting and also ran disk utilities but to no avail. Any suggestions.

Mac G3/ 300mhz
ProTools tdm/mix plus
768 mb ram
HUI control via midiman 2X2 usb

Old 07-09-2006, 04:20 PM

Default Re: ProTools keeps shutting down

OS9 OSX?????

did you do all the Suggetsed trouble shooting in the sticky up there?

what usually fixes it for me is Diak Warrior. get it. run it on every drive. boot from it, run it on the system.

also, get cocktail and run it at least once a week.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 07-10-2006, 03:43 AM

Quote:
I have tried opening old sessions and starting new ones. The sessions open but after I record something and then hit stop ProTools shuts down. I thought maybe a virus but I am not connected to the net. I've tried resarting and also ran disk utilities but to no avail. Any suggestions.

Mac G3/ 300mhz
ProTools tdm/mix plus
768 mb ram

Hi,

Have you this system running ok before!! 300mhz seems very very low for running PT.

Try trashing the digidesign databases from all hard drive partitions and the database file inside the digidesign folder.

Try setting the maximum record time to 10-15 minutes, in the preferences.

Take a look at the troubleshooting thread.....

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...fpart=1#177661

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:07 PM

Quote:
OS9 OSX?????

did you do all the Suggetsed trouble shooting in the sticky up there?

what usually fixes it for me is Diak Warrior. get it. run it on every drive. boot from it, run it on the system.

also, get cocktail and run it at least once a week.
Sorry,
OS 10.2.8.

also I have had this system running for about a year now. Never did this before. I've run 30 some tracks while recording and no problem.

Thanks,

muman
Old 07-10-2006, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry,
OS 10.2.8.

also I have had this system running for about a year now. Never did this before. I've run 30 some tracks while recording and no problem.
you know i meant DISK WARRIOR from ALSOFT found here ALSOFT WEB PAGE instead of what i wrote...what was that? dionne warrick? jeez!

did you run this yet????????????????????????????????
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 07-11-2006, 12:46 AM

Quote:

Mac G3/ 300mhz
ProTools tdm/mix plus
768 mb ram

Like Chris said,

a G3 running at 700+ Mhz is pretty slow with a HUI hooked up too. We used to run a HUI and a G3 a long time ago and it DID work fine, but that was when it was OS 9 was out and the only choice. Are you are PT 6.4.1 and OS X.? now? I know that HD systems are all the way up to 867 quicksilvers as the lowest grade of computer you can use with the newer software and HD gear. It may even beas low as a 733 G4 but it's close to being nonsupported.

I also work at a studio that has a mix plus plus TDM system still, with a pro control and a Mac G4, a 500 Mhz processor, & a gig of RAM/ If he has trouble, which is rare, is Disk Warrior time, like Minister states.

BTW also watch out for certain utilitiy programs and their versions, especially when you go to a higher version of PT or OS. I wound up hosing a system because the version of PT I had was not compatible with Tech tools latest and greatest version yet...well you guessed it...Hosed, hosed, hosed! I might as well have dumped it in the bathtub while i was still in there bathing.

Fixing was eash though. I reformatted the drive, and put all my plug-in folders and settings folders back on (I keep all of that saved on another drive always after reinstalling Pro Tools, and it all worked great again. I even first took it to a "We Fix Macs" store, and they ruined it and then charged me $450 for giving me back a useless system. But I;m not bitter!

Last, how's the system HD looking? Is it in good shape or is it full and fragged? Do you have a cloned drive in there too?