Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2013, 10:56 AM

Default Fine Adjustment on AAX seems to be Broken?

On AAX Plug ins like the MDW Digital EQ amongst others, the hold command and then adjust parameters for fine settings, does not seem to work anymore?

I hope it's just been overlooked as it's really handy/essential really.

Can someone from Avid comment?
Old 06-06-2013, 03:27 PM

Default Re: Fine Adjustment on AAX seems to be Broken?

From the plug-in GUI or from a control surface?

With AAX, all plug-ins implement their own plug-in GUI and features like fine mode from that GUI are really a feature in the individual plug-ins. Our plug-ins support this, but I'm not sure of which third party plug-ins do and don't.

From a control surface is a tricker question with a MUCH longer answer.

Dave
Old 06-07-2013, 06:23 AM

Hi this is all mouse driven not Control Surface as I'm using a HDX keyboard and mouse for my own work.

Fine increments on ALL plugins ALL manufacturers has been a standard item since forever.

You even have the key marked as such on Venue and Icon desks.

It's in all the Pro Tools docs and the AVID official training manuals.

If this has been dropped as a requirement for TP to implement in order to make an AAX PI I think you have really "dropped the ball" on this.

Take the MDW EQ AAX as an example you move your mouse and say end up with .4 dB boost and it's sounding good, you let go and .....it jumps to .6

It's annoying, actually really annoying. I do a lot of mastering and I want the plug in to stay on the settings I have them on when I release my mouse.

It's the same with Sonnox command fine adjust just doesn't work any more. Makes it hard to get that Limiter.

I know this sounds pedantic but .2 dB can be the difference between not sounding good and sounding good at the extreme end of peak limiting.

Both of these did in TDM so I just can't get why that's not easy to implement in AAX.

Maybe people just don't realise how useful it is. What's .2 dB right?

I know people will say exactly that, but to me it does matter and these plug ins did it before so they should be able to do it again.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Pickles View Post
Hi this is all mouse driven not Control Surface as I'm using a HDX keyboard and mouse for my own work.

Fine increments on ALL plugins ALL manufacturers has been a standard item since forever.

You even have the key marked as such on Venue and Icon desks.

It's in all the Pro Tools docs and the AVID official training manuals.

If this has been dropped as a requirement for TP to implement in order to make an AAX PI I think you have really "dropped the ball" on this.

Take the MDW EQ AAX as an example you move your mouse and say end up with .4 dB boost and it's sounding good, you let go and .....it jumps to .6

It's annoying, actually really annoying. I do a lot of mastering and I want the plug in to stay on the settings I have them on when I release my mouse.

It's the same with Sonnox command fine adjust just doesn't work any more. Makes it hard to get that Limiter.

I know this sounds pedantic but .2 dB can be the difference between not sounding good and sounding good at the extreme end of peak limiting.

Both of these did in TDM so I just can't get why that's not easy to implement in AAX.

Maybe people just don't realise how useful it is. What's .2 dB right?

I know people will say exactly that, but to me it does matter and these plug ins did it before so they should be able to do it again.
Its not up to Avid to test 3rd party plugs for the implementation of all the features. This is typically done in beta testing or from users contacting them about it after release. I know of 2 plugins that have fixed this after the AAX release. You should contact the devs and see what they say.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 06-07-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTremblay View Post

With AAX, all plug-ins implement their own plug-in GUI and features like fine mode from that GUI are really a feature in the individual plug-ins. Our plug-ins support this, but I'm not sure of which third party plug-ins do and don't.

What's the deal regarding automation then?

I've come across plugins where the GUI is showing one type of measurement, with a finely measured scale, but the automation lane is measured in a much coarser % scale.

What that means is that you get a sort of quantisation error, if you need to trim automation with the mouse vs recording a movement of a GUI dial / pot.

For example, a control automated to 48% could equate to a small range of different values on the plugin GUI, which makes it pretty difficult working the other way round if you need to trim automation by a specific value of the GUI's scale.