Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-14-2009, 09:32 PM

Default Channels 3 and 4 on my Digi 002 are flickering

Does any one know what this indicates? The LCD for channel 3 and 4 flicker intermittently. Is that a fifty cent probelm or a $500 dollar problem? Otherwise, the machine has been working flawlessly. This happened on PT 7 and 8 on my Mac laptop and my PC, so I know it is not a software or computer issue. It's the 002.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:32 PM

Default Re: Channels 3 and 4 on my Digi 002 are flickering

Bmp
Old 02-17-2009, 04:29 PM

Bmp
Old 02-17-2009, 05:48 PM

It sounds like a minor issue with the LED block and I would not worry about it unless you really need to view info on it. It is possible(however improbable) that it is some variation or symptom of the typical 002 power harness issue. I don't really think this is the case but it would not hurt anything to reseat each harness connector several times to see if it makes a difference. The LED blocks come as a pair of displays(2 channels) I think and are not very expensive so you could call a DIGI service shop and get a replacement(but I can't guarantee that this would solve the issue).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-18-2009, 01:38 AM

I'm not that fussy and the flickering LED's don't spoil my day. I am worried about the power harness, and, like death and taxes, I guess I am going to have to deal with that some day. Can somebody point me to the best information on how I seat the harness, etc. I've never opened the thing up before and right now it's running dandy.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:34 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorj View Post
I'm not that fussy and the flickering LED's don't spoil my day. I am worried about the power harness, and, like death and taxes, I guess I am going to have to deal with that some day. Can somebody point me to the best information on how I seat the harness, etc. I've never opened the thing up before and right now it's running dandy.
You should contact tech support by phone for both the new harness and the PDF with instructions on how to install it.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:44 AM

I have here a solution to the issue which you are describing:
A Flicking scribble strip display can be caused by a number of situations, but there is a particular symptom that characterises the fault I have found and solved:

1. The flickering displays are a pair: 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5, 5-6, 7-8 or the two master/display sections.
The backlight on the channel pair must remain constantly on, but the display flicker for this fix to work. you can see this if you look carefully at the lower section of the screen that is flickering - there should be a dim orange glow that remains constant.

Reason for the fault:

LCD displays are usually connected to their PCB by means of a flexible rubber-like strip with conductive layers running through it (called an elastomeric connector). It is held in place by slight compression, but over time can loose this elasticity a fraction, leading to imperfect contact.

The way the Digi 002 is assembled means that the retaining frame for each LCD (which serves two channels) is slightly compressed against the strip PCB inside: There is an extra foam layer around the display windows which makes this even worse. The result is that the elastomeric connector is compressed more heavily than it would normally be if it were compressed by the retaining frame alone.

What then happens is that with heat/ambient temperature change, then Digi002 case flexes fractionally, and causes this compressed connector (which has probably lost a bit of its elasticity over time) to lose good contact.

The fix is actually simple: Bend the retaining tags on the LCD's retaining case to compress it a fraction more, thereby compensating for the loss of elasticity.

In order to do this, you will need to carefully (and taking all static and electrical precautions) strip down your digi 002 and remove the scribble strip PCB. This entails removing the bottom plate, then the processor card, the Mic input PCB and the analog PCB and frame: there are guides on how to do this.

Then, find the offending display pair, and you will notice that the black casing is retained by a set of bent tabs, 3 on the bottom and 2 on the top.

To fix the problem: Squeeze the case towards the pcb *gently* at the bottom where there are 3 tabs (you will be able to see it move and the tabs come away from the middle layer pcb a fraction), and then using a small screwdriver, bend the tabs upwards (towards the glass side of the display) fractionally to hold the display slightly tighter than before.

Replace to scribble strip PCB and reassemble, and hopefully this should have fixed it...