Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 06-04-2001, 11:04 PM

Default Recommendations for Maximum Performance?

I'm currently running Digi001 with Win98.
I'm going to buy a G4. What is my ideal
computer setup for Maximum Performance.

I will be mixing 24 tracks with EQ on every
channel, about 12 compressors, 2 Reverbs, 1
Delay, 1 Autotune Plugin, and Automation.

AM I DREAMING? Or is there a G4 for me?
I've heard that anything over 450MHZ really
doesn't improve performance.
Is there a link to this discussion anywhere
else?

TIA,
Adrian
Old 06-05-2001, 06:16 PM

Default Re: Recommendations for Maximum Performance?

Quote:
Originally posted by a2zproductions:

I will be mixing 24 tracks with EQ on every
channel, about 12 compressors, 2 Reverbs, 1
Delay, 1 Autotune Plugin, and Automation...

AM I DREAMING? Or is there a G4 for me?
I've heard that anything over 450MHZ really
doesn't improve performance...
I am running a dual 500 with 320 MB and I have been able to get as many as 25 plugs, including good reverbs, in a session (24 bit/44.1 SDII interleaved stereo, approximately 17 stereo tracks) but of course every setup is unique and it depends on how CPU hungry the plugs are. Incidentally, this was under Logic Platinum 4.7 (Logic is both DP and Altivec optimized) using Waves C4 and L1+ and Logic plugs. My best guess is that you could do this with a dual 533 or a faster PPC, especially once OS X becomes stable. I'm not sure if it's possible under PTLE, however. There are also some techniques to get around some of the bottlenecks, like bouncing your efx returns or using a hardware reverb with digital ins/outs to replace your main plugin reverb during mixdown (usually the worst offender).

I've never heard anything about a "point of diminishing returns" on CPU speed, but real large ram sizes are not that effective. Get the fastest CPU or dual CPU you can for this kind of project...or a powercore card.

[This message has been edited by ThomCat (edited June 05, 2001).]
Old 06-06-2001, 01:48 AM

Default Re: Recommendations for Maximum Performance?

a2zproductions - Get the fastest G4 you can afford. If you can't wait for future OS X, and therefore dual processing compatibility with PTLE then get a 733MHz G4 or a DP 533 if you want a little future proofing.

I have a G4 500 DP (effectively one processor with DIGI001 + PTLE) and I have just completed a session with all 24 tracks with one Realverb, two digi delays (all on aux's) and on every audio track I have McDsp plugins AC1 and Filterbank (all types)with an extra comp + filterbank here and there. On the master I have an AC2 and a Filterbank E6.

Total is 43 plugs on Audio tracks, 3 on aux's and 2 on master.

Bounce to disk is also working perfectly despite the strain on CPU. There is still some CPU "space" left, but I do not need any more plugs and I may have to go back and add some more automation, so I am safe it won't hit the red.

It may be worth getting a DP500 as you should find one quite cheap now (especially 2nd hand), then you can reap the benefits of OS X and DP compatibility (if it happens), and for now you should be able to get good results out of it.

2 reverbs will crap out a mix like this though....not recommended!!

McDsp is the only way to go for this many plugs and the sound quality to my ears is better all round than any other plugins.

check them out at http://www.mcdsp.com