Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-31-2007, 06:37 PM

Default Maximum Track Count on PT LE

Hey everyone.

I currently use an Intel 2 core duo macbook pro 17" with a digi002r and PT le 7.3.1

I usually max my sessions out at around 25/26 tracks. This usually includes several edits/a moderate amount of plugins - an eq on every track with some Compression here and there and some verbs/delays on the busses.

My question to everyone is, what can I do to get the full 32 tracks? I am beginning to eceede my maximum track count and dont really have the cash for the Music Production Tool Kit. Plus...my logic is that if I'm maxing out on 26 tracks, whats the difference with unlocking 48 tracks and not being able to get even the full out of the regular PT le.

Any Help would be greatly apreciated.

P.S. I do consolidate some tracks through bouncing down, however, I try to minimalize this because I like to have fast access to all my tracks/parts.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:36 PM

Default Re: Maximum Track Count on PT LE

First, are you recording to a seperate hard drive? You should be recording to a firewire drive with the Oxford 911 chipset with the drive spinning at 7200rpm or better. If you are already doing that, double-check all your system tweaks against what is described in the Getting Started Guide as your machine should do better than what you describe. What EQ plugin are you using(some are cpu hogs). How much RAM do you have(1 gig is minimum and 2 gig is better). Are you turning off networking, wifi and any anti-virus programs?(you should). Have you checked for anything running in the background that might be stealing horsepower?

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-01-2007, 03:27 AM

You can often 'squeeze' more out of a session by making full use of bussing. If some of those plugs have identical settings, try sending the outputs to a stereo aux with just one instance etc etc.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:26 AM

Quote:
I currently use an Intel 2 core duo macbook pro 17" with a digi002r and PT le 7.3.1

I usually max my sessions out at around 25/26 tracks. This usually includes several edits/a moderate amount of plugins - an eq on every track with some Compression here and there and some verbs/delays on the busses.

My question to everyone is, what can I do to get the full 32 tracks? I am beginning to eceede my maximum track count and dont really have the cash for the Music Production Tool Kit.
I was doing 32 tracks from a 1.33GHz iBook.

My new MBP (as should be yours) is insanely more powerful (around 6x greater than the iBook).

As others have suggested, perhaps review the plugs you're using, and your options for bussing.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:26 AM

HEy guys... I completely forgot to add my Ram/HD situation. I currently use two external FW drives...all up to specs (one glyph, one lacie) and I had 3 gigs of Ram.

I usually use the 7 band EQ, BUt After I find my sound I trim it down to the 4 or 1 band as much as possible. I know I could double the track...use the audio suite to add the eq and then Hide and make inactive the original track...

But there's this one more thing... I never turned SpotLight off. Every time I try, I cant get it to do it. The download at the Mac site that Digi recommends getting doesn't work anymore AND every time I go to do it manually, it doesn't work! I type everything in exactly as it says to, but its blehhh.

Perhaps I'm missing something simple with regards to turning off spotlight?

Thank You

P.S. everything else is optimized. I use this comp ONLY for protools.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:26 PM

I'm not sure that Spotlight is solely responsible for your performance problems. I've never deactivated this and managed 60+ equivalent tracks (with MPT). Granted on a PPC model G5.

I take it you've covered the other bases (Dashboard, Bluetooth/Airport, Energy saver, Sleep mode etc)?
Old 09-01-2007, 04:22 PM

yes I've covered everything. I have some powerful sessions that I am going to bounce down to make smaller....less actual audio files to see what happens.

On Digi's site...they say that they can get 24 tracks with two firewire drives and recording to 24 bit. So that says something also.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:55 AM

accession,

How were you squeezing 32 tracks out of an ibook 1.33? I have a g4 powerbook 1.67, and have done about 26 or 27 and haven't reached the total limit yet, but I am not sure how much higher I can go. I don't use a ton of plug ins generally, as I tend to like things fairly dry, but I do use some reverbs and eqs.

Is there some tips for maximizing the power you can get out of a g4? I have 2 gigs of ram, and use external firewire drives. I have a 002, and turn off anything possible. Any other tips?

Thanks in advance.

Phil
Old 09-02-2007, 02:31 AM

Quote:
accession,

How were you squeezing 32 tracks out of an ibook 1.33? I have a g4 powerbook 1.67, and have done about 26 or 27 and haven't reached the total limit yet, but I am not sure how much higher I can go. I don't use a ton of plug ins generally, as I tend to like things fairly dry, but I do use some reverbs and eqs.

Is there some tips for maximizing the power you can get out of a g4? I have 2 gigs of ram, and use external firewire drives. I have a 002, and turn off anything possible. Any other tips?

Thanks in advance.

Phil

Ok, it's a push but here's how I was running things...

- External FireWire drive (and would sometimes get overload issues there too)
- Reverb via S/PDIF (using a Lexicon MPX 500) to save CPU.
- 768MB RAM
- No soft-synths

Had problems bouncing down the final mix, so I had to remove plug-ins on the master fader, then re-import into a "master" session to compete. If I didn't have the hardware 'verb, I'd be stuck I reckon. It's been my lifeline since 450MHz G4 days.

I also run Spotlight (having previous disabled it, then found it a pain in the ass to search and/or re-enable it to continue its archiving duties, hence I leave it on full-time now.

The worst part is watching the CPU spikes. That's the killer. If it weren't for them, I'd have got more out of the system. As it was, I'd have to leave 'headroom' and watch the CPU bounce erratically up and down, which of course would often peak and the system would grind to a halt.

No issues on the 2.4GHz MBP though!
Old 09-02-2007, 02:53 AM

Hello,

Also note that you are limited to 32 Mono tracks or a paltry 16 Stereo (or a combination of the two)

I believe that Music Production Toolkit allows 48 Mono OR Stereo tracks

Let's hope this functionality will be included in Pro Tools LE soon to match Logic, Cubase etc's unlimited track count and software synth arsenal (not to mention PDC). Instead of the over priced MPT