Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-03-2007, 08:05 AM

Default Presonus Faderport......Can i???

Hi all, i'm swaying towards the Presonus faderport to try and take away the tedious task of controlling faders with the mouse. I read everywhere about how this device is used to control automation but what about just normal Pro Tools faders in a session.

I'd like to be able to click on a track inside a Pro Tools session using the mouse with my right hand and then just control the volume, mute, record arm and solo from the faderport with my left. Is this possible or is designed just for automation, any feedback from any user would be greatfully received?

Cheers
Old 05-03-2007, 09:54 AM

Default Re: Presonus Faderport......Can i???

it works just as you have described. just click with the mouse and move the fader. this is the way i use mine much of the time, as well as for automation. there are also buttons on the faderport to switch tracks, so you dont even have to mouse around. i love mine, moving faders with a real fader feels sooooo much better than moving a fader with a mouse.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:25 AM

Can anyone compare-contrast the Frontier Design AlphaTrack with the Faderport?
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:27 PM

one advantage the alpha track has over the fader port is the control of aux sends via rotary pot. the faderport rotary knob only controls panning. i have spoken with a rep at presonus about this, considering it would only be a firmware upgrade, and he hinted that it may be in a future software update. i definately like the looks of the faderport MUCH better...
Old 05-03-2007, 12:28 PM

one advantage the alpha track has over the fader port is the control of aux sends via rotary pot. the faderport rotary knob only controls panning. i have spoken with a rep at presonus about this, considering it would only be a firmware upgrade, and he hinted that it may be in a future software update. i definately like the looks of the faderport MUCH better...
Old 05-03-2007, 01:08 PM

Thanks for all your help guys, i'm definitely gonna go for it now.

I've been reading a lot of reviews and the Alpha seems to have a lot more controls but many of the posts i've read describe it as feeling really cheap whereas i read the opposite about the faderport. This are only people views so i guess it's down to the individual, one thing i will give frontier is if you take a look at there forum they seem to be very customer orientated and keen to iron out bugs and problems which is nice.

Unlike lets say.......Korg, who wouldn't know customer service or decent software if it smacked them in the chops, just had to get that one in, thanks guys.

Cheers
Old 05-03-2007, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all your help guys, i'm definitely gonna go for it now.

I've been reading a lot of reviews and the Alpha seems to have a lot more controls but many of the posts i've read describe it as feeling really cheap whereas i read the opposite about the faderport. This are only people views so i guess it's down to the individual, one thing i will give frontier is if you take a look at there forum they seem to be very customer orientated and keen to iron out bugs and problems which is nice.

Unlike lets say.......Korg, who wouldn't know customer service or decent software if it smacked them in the chops, just had to get that one in, thanks guys.

Cheers
The Faderport is great and so is Presonus. If I didn't have manual transport I might do the car in the garage thing. Also, let's face it - mixes bog down to the point where you cannot mouse automate the faders (especially with STRIKE!) - but when you use the Faderport it's clean as a whistle anyway. I cannot wait for the firmware update!
Old 05-03-2007, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Can anyone compare-contrast the Frontier Design AlphaTrack with the Faderport?
I think it all depends on how you work. I lovw my Alphatrack, though its not my only control surface. The LCD was a big seller for me. I find spinning the knob to locate to the desired track to be easier than ctrl-clicking the track name to invoke the menu to then click the menu item to bank the controller. I also like the ability to auto safe plugs, auxes, pans like in the auto window but from the controller. The rest of the auto control is pretty slick, but not as slick as just having buttons like on the Faderport. And both units are clicky/plasticy on the buttons IMHO. Frontier Design is a tremendous company. Very responsive. I have no experience with the other company, which may be just as good. Also, since iAlphatrack is my portable rig controller, not having a power cord was important to me. It's a very deep controller, so D/L the manual for the ProTools control, and the overlay and see if it matches your workflow. And see if you can try them both out before buying somewhere nearby. It might be worth 90 minutes in the car to make the right choice. But the best news of all is neither is a dog. They both are good little units. In the end they qre both HUI, so don't expect the same level of responsiveness present in a C8 or C24. But they are both on par with the best as far as Hui goes. Hope this helps!
Washington, DC 20036
Old 05-03-2007, 08:58 PM

Too bad you can't work the stereo panners (left only) with Faderport.....I like the Alphatrack much better and only one cord (USB) instead of two.

15" Macbook Pro R 2.6 i7 Quad/16GB RAM/OS X 10.10.5
27" iMac 2.8 i7 Quad/16GB RAM/OS X 10.10.5
Studio One 3/Reason 8/Live 9/Logic Pro 9/Main Stage 3
Old 04-08-2010, 10:23 AM

To get the right fader to work on a stereo trk with faderport, all you have to do is hold down shift button and then you can control right pan.