Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 02-13-2007, 07:19 PM

Default Keyboard shortcut for region deselect

If I have a region defined on one track, and I want the same region to be defined on another track, I use Shift-Click. I can add as many new tracks with the same region defined this way.

If I want to de-select the region in a track, I use Start+Alt+semi-colon and it will de-select THE LAST SELECTED REGION. How do I de-select an arbitrary region?

In other words, I define a region on track 1, Shift-click track 2 (the same region is defined on track 2), Shift-click track 3 (same thing happens). Then how do I de-select track 1?

Or better yet, I have a region defined on track 1 and I want the same region defined on track 3 AND NOT ON TRACK 1. That is, I want the same region defined on a different track plus I no longer want that region defined on the original track.

What is the keyboard shortcut for this?

Thanks,

-Andres
Old 02-13-2007, 07:36 PM

Default Re: Keyboard shortcut for region deselect

P moves the selection up, and I think Colon would move it down. I have a keyboard with norwegian keys and layout, so I'm not sure.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Or better yet, I have a region defined on track 1 and I want the same region defined on track 3 AND NOT ON TRACK 1. That is, I want the same region defined on a different track plus I no longer want that region defined on the original track.

What is the keyboard shortcut for this?

Thanks,

-Andres
I do this all the time comping VOs and especially rearranging OMFs.
To move a region to the exact spot on another track and delete it from the original track. (moving it to a track above)
The way I do it for example is:

'Selection'
'C'
'P'
'V'
';'
'X' or Delete

It's a few strokes but it can be done quickly. I use two hands when doing the move.
When you have a selection the 'P" and the ';' will move the selection up and down.

Maybe someone has a quicker way or maybe Kenny will feature this on one of his ProTorials.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:49 AM

Thanks for the responses--I will try them out.

Quote:

Maybe someone has a quicker way or maybe Kenny will feature this on one of his ProTorials.

It was on his Beat Detective tutorial that I saw him move the selected region down and I tried to duplicate what he was doing but could not do the basic region move operation. It is very frustrating when a simple operation like moving regions gets in the way of the bigger picture.

-Andres
Old 02-15-2007, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the responses--I will try them out.

Quote:

It was on his Beat Detective tutorial that I saw him move the selected region down and I tried to duplicate what he was doing but could not do the basic region move operation. It is very frustrating when a simple operation like moving regions gets in the way of the bigger picture.

-Andres
His move was in Commands Focus (same as the one I described) only he was using the " key to navigate Tab to transient. (I believe)

The move he was doing was:

" (tab to transient)
P (up to replacement track)
V (paste)
; (down to drum track)

:|| (repeat)
Old 02-16-2007, 02:54 AM

Quote:
" (tab to transient)
I have always used the ‘Tab’ key for tab to transient, I was under the impression the key you mentioned was ‘Next Start End’ on the US keyboard…

Cheers

N
Old 02-16-2007, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Quote:
" (tab to transient)
I have always used the ‘Tab’ key for tab to transient, I was under the impression the key you mentioned was ‘Next Start End’ on the US keyboard…

Cheers

N
When Tab to Transient box in the Edit Window is checked " & L will tab to transient rather than "Next/Previous Start/End" in Command Focus Mode.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:46 AM

How odd… it doesn’t do that on any of my machines… (Whether I am in command focus or not…)

And the reference guide only mentions the ‘Tab’ key

N
Old 02-16-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
How odd… it doesn’t do that on any of my machines… (Whether I am in command focus or not…)

And the reference guide only mentions the ‘Tab’ key

N
Not sure if you're missing something or not but that's how it works here.

But if you notice in the Tutorial that Kenny uses BeatDetective to divide the performance into separate regions. Then you can use the formula above and it won't matter if you are in tab to transient or tab to region since the region is cut to the transient.
hth
Old 03-14-2018, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMacki View Post
I do this all the time comping VOs and especially rearranging OMFs.
To move a region to the exact spot on another track and delete it from the original track. (moving it to a track above)
The way I do it for example is:

'Selection'
'C'
'P'
'V'
';'
'X' or Delete

It's a few strokes but it can be done quickly. I use two hands when doing the move.
When you have a selection the 'P" and the ';' will move the selection up and down.

you could just use cut which is x on protools instead of copy, then you could cut and paste instead of copy and paste, would be faster