Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 10-26-2016, 06:43 PM

Default Cannot open previous sessions

I just upgraded from PT version 9 to 12.6. Any sessions from version 9 will not open and the error message states: "Could not complete your request because no such file or directory (2) while opening .ptf"
I tried creating a new session and then import session data, but the same message appears. I cannot open audio wav files either
Shift clicking on the ptf file does not do anything as well.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Old 10-27-2016, 05:13 AM

Default Re: Cannot open previous sessions

Quote:
Originally Posted by osroubek View Post
I just upgraded from PT version 9 to 12.6. Any sessions from version 9 will not open and the error message states: "Could not complete your request because no such file or directory (2) while opening .ptf"
I tried creating a new session and then import session data, but the same message appears. I cannot open audio wav files either
Shift clicking on the ptf file does not do anything as well.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
going from 9 to 12 is quite a jump. You make no mention of OS/computer changing, but surely they did as well????

Post a session file (no audio) and someone here could check to see if they can open. Start there.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Post a session file (no audio) and someone here could check to see if they can open. Start there.
"No such file or directory" makes me think permissions or file system error.

Anyway, osroubek, you should post details on your hardware and OS details. As much as possible. Both before and after the transition. And I'm shure this is solveable.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
going from 9 to 12 is quite a jump
Nonsense. I'm exporting sessions between clients using .ptf and .ptx fairly frequently. A luddite client of mine is still on v8! I can still open sessions I did from 2001 using v5.1.

The different versions should not be a problem for the OP at all and suggests file/directory corruption rather than any problem between the versions of Tools.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:02 AM

I'm sorry for the lack of information. I am on a iMac i5 system. I upgraded to Sierra just prior to installing ProTools 12.6 the other day. It runs fine otherwise. The previous OS was 10.7. While using version 9, which was an upgrade from version7, I recall I would get warnings upon opening sessions about certain files missing, but it did not prevent me from opening a session and working on it. There was never a time in version 9 where I could not open a session. Today, I tried opening a few sessions that were even older and they were able to open using the 'import session' dialog. The song was missing some parts probably due to the type of instrument used back then and plugins, but it did open. Only the most recent files are not opening. Seems like corrupt files but is there a way to fix that in the older version of ProTools so they can be accessed in version 12?
Old 10-27-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
Nonsense.
huh? I was simply referring to the fact that PT9 was released in 2010 and so yes, that's quite a jump since a lot can change in OSes etc in 6+ years.

You might want to think things through before proclaiming a post as nonsense.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:14 AM

Try holding down the SHIFT key while opening these old sessions. If that works, its some plugin causing the issue

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-27-2016, 09:27 AM

Thanks for your suggestion. I did try that and I would always get the same error message. Do I have to go back to version 9 and save a session in some other way?
I have tried to import the audio wav files in 12.6 as well, but nothing happens
Old 10-27-2016, 11:51 AM

I've been experiencing trouble opening a bunch of sessions in 12.6 that were made in 12.5.2. They still open just fine in the older version but they give me an assertion error when loading in 12.6.

12.6 seems to not like certain WAV files (7.1 stem files in this case, approx 20 minutes in length) that we created in, and load fine in 12.5.2. I'm currently using the "Duplicate" Audiosuite plugin on the offending clips in a 12.5.2 system to make new ones and that allows the sessions to then load up in 12.6, but that shouldn't be happening.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:54 AM

I don't know why I can't get the new thread button. So I'm posting here. I use pro tools 2018. I cannot open a session I recorded in pro tools 7. My pro tools crashes and restarts. Any help appreciated.
Thanks.