Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 07-23-2020, 01:39 PM

Default Outputs not available even though they show in I/O settings / path

This has bothered me for some time, and I have never been able to resolve it. Has anyone else experienced this?

When I re-open a session, some of the I/O Outputs are not visible, and in fact, outputs from previous sessions show up, though in italics.

For example, I create a session and map the headphone output as PHONES, analog 7/8. It shows (and is ticked) in the output section in I/O settings (please see attached screen shot - PHONES is clearly assigned to tracks 7&8). However, when I open the main track window, and try to select that output, it is not visible (see screenshot number 2 - it actually shows 7&8 with an older assigned name, and is in italics).

The only way I can fix it is delete the path (7/8, in this case) and create a new path. THEN, it works, but only for this one time. When I re-open the session, I am back to not seeing the output.

Can someone help me figure it out please? Maybe it is something really simple (and stupid!!)?

Thank you!!
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 2.58.24 PM.png (65.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg main view track output options.jpg (91.3 KB, 0 views)
Twin Xeon processors
64GB DRAM
Apollo Quad + satellite
Multiple Enterprise class SSDs (mixed use endurance)
Solid State Logic Nucleus.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:45 AM

Default Re: Outputs not available even though they show in I/O settings / path

Are the missing outputs listed on the Bus tab? I think the outputs have to exist in the Bus tab for them to show up as an available path. If they're missing, hit Default on the Bus tab and they should show up. Not sure if that would fix the issue of I/O settings from previous sessions being retained.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 07-24-2020, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
Are the missing outputs listed on the Bus tab? I think the outputs have to exist in the Bus tab for them to show up as an available path. If they're missing, hit Default on the Bus tab and they should show up. Not sure if that would fix the issue of I/O settings from previous sessions being retained.
In addition to this^^^, there is more to consider:
#1-I see a duplicate output(Line 1-2 and main). If main is the name you want to associate with your main outputs, delete the Line 1-2 path and check the box for main(and be aware that any session using Line 1-2, will likely need to be changed upon opening to clear out all references to the unwanted output).
#2-tough to tell as the screen shot is cut off, but it looks like the outputs Adat 1-2 down are not assigned to physical outputs on the grid. If those are paths you never use, you can delete them all(they can always be put back in at a later date).
#3-(this is a PITA, but I see no other way around it), routing assignments are part of every session, so any session will bring up all routing options whenever you open it. The solution here is this; as soon as you open any session(especially if you get a message about missing paths), immediately open the IO setup, check all 3 tabs(Input, Output and Bus) and look for anything in italics(which means a bogus path) and either delete, rename or uncheck(Bus tab) and re-save(so the next time you open that session, it SHOULD open correctly). This is something that most everyone gets hit with, especially if you share sessions with any other PT system. If you collaborate with another Pro Tools user a lot, you can head off this problem by naming important paths the same on both systems. Here's an example from my Nashville studio where the main room ran HDN with 48 IO and the midi room ran an Mbox 2 PRO. We renamed the midi room outputs to Main Out L/R(to match the big room) and renamed the 2 mic inputs to match 2 inputs of the main room. After that, sessions would go back and forth without issue and the midi room would just ignore all the missing IO.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-02-2020, 09:08 PM

Thank you for this response. I appreciate it.

Firstly, the ADATs are available (I have a MOTU interface attached to a UAD Apollo, through optical connection, just to give me additional inputs (which I rarely use)) but as I say, rarely used.

I'll try what you suggest. At the end of the day, it is indeed a PITA, but albeit a small, annoying one so of course, I can deal with it if I have to.

Appreciate the response - and sorry I took so long to get back. I am now one of the honorary Covid-immune folks, thanks to a couple of rough weeks where I have barely logged on!!

Thanks again. Mick.
Twin Xeon processors
64GB DRAM
Apollo Quad + satellite
Old 09-02-2020, 09:10 PM

And Chris. Thank you also. I am not at my studio PC right now, but good question. I will check.

Thanks, Mick.
Twin Xeon processors
64GB DRAM
Apollo Quad + satellite