Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2012, 06:24 PM

Default HDX, Latency, & Virtual Insts?

I've read great things about the dsp-power of HDX, vs my aging Accel system.(HD5) Even though I just bought a Magma chassis for my new Mac Pro 6-core, I'm considering switching to HDX.

HOWEVER, can someone comment on integration with virtual instruments (running native) and HW buffer / latency?

I do mostly midi-composition, plus recording-mixing very large rock & R&B sessions. The whole reason I'm considering HDX is because I want to keep as much of the Mac available for VI's as possible. ( have a Mac Pro 3.33 Ghz six-core.) However, I've read some disturbing reports of having to keep the HDX buffer fairly high.

I NEED to keep the buffer at 64 or lower. Is this possible?

Are there any "problems" integrating native VI's into an HDX session?

- thanks.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:49 PM

It doesn't work any better than a tdm system. I work on both setups and it's same performance in terms of VI power. The new NI AAX instruments do seem to kick more ***** than the rtas versions though, so maybe there's hope.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:03 AM

Default Re: HDX, Latency, & Virtual Insts?

Thanks, James.

Are there any problems with midi latency, or a need to boost the HW buffer?
Old 09-13-2012, 05:05 AM

Bump.

Anyone else?

This is a massivley important issue to me, and probably many others.

Some benchmarks & specifics would REALLY help, if folks can find the time to post.

- thanks as always.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:21 AM

Allan Speers?!? Where you been all these years? Were you being a Cakewalkin' turncoat all this time or something? Good to see you back...Scott of Mercy.

I think that if your studio is private, and you can live w/o certain plugins, NEVER invest in the past. PT11 will have to be BAD ASS to get people to jump ship. I'm convinced it will be and you'll be so sorry you can't use it with out selling your now near-worthless in value Magma and cards. Especially as a VI guy. I'm 90% convinced PT is finally going to "get there" regarding VIs.

But if you're a public studio like me with a lot of visiting engineers, you have a HELL of a damn dilemma with losing TDM, far worse than being in a private studio where you can modify your plugin set at will. Public studios have to either stay put and appease the masses with legacy hardware and software or press onto the great new stuff and risk losing business. I'm a VI guy too who will need and want PT11. This is such a horrific problem for cutting edge public recording studios.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:18 AM

Hey, Scott, good to hear from you!

Last time I saw you I think was after an AES show, maybe 6 years ago, (or was it 8 years?) Good to know you're still going strong. Business has pretty much dried up here in the boonies.

Like you say, TDM compatibility is still a problem for me, but I'm becoming more & more of a private-use studio, (I'm not even a PT beta tester any longer) so maybe next year PT11 will work.

I'm just really hung up on the VI thing. I've been reading a lot of scary things re latency & compatibility. Same as it ever was, with Protools, I guess. Do you have any inside info on PT11 and VI's / midi? (I'm no longer a beta tester.)
Old 09-14-2012, 07:14 AM

Have to back to this after 10.3 install.
For me the Vi's (All in general) were less prone (HD3 in a Magma) to the needed latency I'm currently experiencing. (10.2)
Old 09-14-2012, 07:21 AM

Come again? I didn't understand a word you said. Could you rephrase that?
Old 09-14-2012, 10:13 PM

Same for me, DetroitT.

I can't tell what you're saying, but it seems rather important. Please elaborate. Thanks.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:23 AM

My experiences could be my getting use to HDX.
My (retired) HD3a PCIx in a Magma chassis was quite stable and latency was no issue.
Moving to Native first (for two weeks) Latency for tracking was a big difference and change, so I moved on the the HDX system. (Note that my rig is a testing & working system that advises other facilities that currently are in the HD3 Magma chassis and a couple in HD3 PCIe all running v10.2 / OS 10.6.8)

PT's 10.2 / OS 10.7.4 gave me latency and crash issues when VI's were used then deactivated then other brands used. To some extent I will write this off as part of the PT's 10 Hybrid-transition.
On the other hand regarding to this threads interest My other system running PT's 10.2 OS 10.6.8 HD3a PCIx in a Magma chassis does seem more stable when using VI in the same manor.

Most of the HDX Latency VI/MIDI related have gone with version 10.3 However (my guess) ram/memory releasing when deactivating a VI the reactivating for changes still seems to create instability and eventually crashing.

No I'm not a programmer, just a user trying to get a solid system (Which for the most part it is)

My view seems to point to auto backup crashes (interval set to every 2 min. and when I crash/Hang... the last interval in backup session is at 3 min.)
another (related to the above) issue is when zooming-in to a midi/instrument track during playback I'll sometime get the app to Hang (non responsive. Force quit required)

Bottom line after all this, is the striving-stability-nervona with Pro Tools systems is nothing new but getting old. The slowness of some plug-in tools to support HDX is dragging-on to the expense of seeking alternative tools to use. The general feel and workflow in HDX is positive and definitely in-progress improvements are happening.

T

NI Komplete, Play, UVI, PTIE & Stock, Toontrack are my go to VI plugs. Modular-Synth non midi recording my go to analog tools.
Working in Stereo and Surround