Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 10-08-1999, 04:13 PM

Default need 2nd opinion

when burning a cd,how hot sould you burn it.and what is the best way to meter the level that will be going to cd. I'm pretty new to this protools thing and one of the main comments I get from some clients is this HEY MAN, HOW COME WHEN I PUT YOUR CD IN ITS NOT AS LOUD AS OFF THE RACK CD'S???????? WHEN I TRY TO BURN THE CD HOTTER THEN IT DISTORTS.WHAT AM I DOING WROING AND HOW CAN I GET THE BEST BURN POSSIBILE.AGAIN HOW DO I METER FOR BEST RESULTS
Old 10-08-1999, 06:18 PM

Default Re: need 2nd opinion

Pyro,

If you're going for LOUD, I would use Waves L1. Set the top to -3 and go for it.

Obviously, this doesn't work for everything AND it must be used tastefully, but it will make things loud.

Jim
Old 10-08-1999, 09:30 PM

Many of the top mastering engineers are campaigning to get the levels LOWER on commercially released CD's. The dynamics are GONE on most of todays CD's and they want them back. However, they aren't having a lot of success because the people that pay the bills want their CD's louder than the next guys.
Old 10-11-1999, 09:46 AM

The L1 does the metering and the gain increase, therefore, don't do any gain change when you burn.
Old 10-11-1999, 10:18 AM

thanks guys for the replys. So my only concern when using L 1 is that my main master fader does not peek?? is this correct.I run My mixes back through a console with everything set at unity because I think PT internal mixer buss is not so good. then I come out of the console back to PT to two tracks. and then go to cd. If my master fader says I<m not peeking somtimes my console is at +7db How can I moniter at the console for best results for the hottest cd with/out peeking. I know this sounds like alot of trouble. would be open to better ideas..with out spending any more money. do I want to not let the console get over 0db or what..help....
Old 10-11-1999, 10:19 AM

thanks guys for the replys. So my only concern when using L 1 is that my main master fader does not peek?? is this correct.I run My mixes back through a console with everything set at unity because I think PT internal mixer buss is not so good. then I come out of the console back to PT to two tracks. and then go to cd. If my master fader says I<m not peeking somtimes my console is at +7db How can I moniter at the console for best results for the hottest cd with/out peeking. I know this sounds like alot of trouble. would be open to better ideas..with out spending any more money. do I want to not let the console get over 0db or what..help....