Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2011, 08:33 PM

Default Mbox2pro --> monitor out static / feedback noise

This has been an ongoing problem basically since i got the mbox2 pro new. The right side monitor output produces a constant static like noise no matter what the volume knob is set to. I have tried swapping cables to no avail. I switched the rightside speaker cable into the left output and the noise went completely away. When plugging the leftside speaker cable now into the right output, the noise came back through the left speaker. So the speakers are not the problem it looks like. I have tried different firewire cables and also connected my headphones to monitor outputs with an adapter and still heard the noise in the right speaker of the headphones.

About 3 months ago i sent the mbox back to digi for repair. After six days of testing they said they were unable to reproduce the problem so no parts were replaced. The problem is clearly there as its a constant annoyance everyday. I should also add both the headphone outputs are perfectly quite. So as a workaround i have been using a Y adapter with the two monitor cables and running them into the second headphone output. This has worked and been noise free. I would however like to get this issue resolved so i don't have to rely on using one of my headphone outputs.

Anyways any info relating to my problem would be appreciated. Whether its possibly a grounding problem or bad capacitor, any feedback would help.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:34 AM

Default Re: Mbox2pro --> monitor out static / feedback noise

bump... still looking for help on this one :)
Old 03-14-2011, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkgti90 View Post
This has been an ongoing problem basically since i got the mbox2 pro new. The right side monitor output produces a constant static like noise no matter what the volume knob is set to. I have tried swapping cables to no avail. I switched the rightside speaker cable into the left output and the noise went completely away. When plugging the leftside speaker cable now into the right output, the noise came back through the left speaker. So the speakers are not the problem it looks like. I have tried different firewire cables and also connected my headphones to monitor outputs with an adapter and still heard the noise in the right speaker of the headphones.

About 3 months ago i sent the mbox back to digi for repair. After six days of testing they said they were unable to reproduce the problem so no parts were replaced. The problem is clearly there as its a constant annoyance everyday. I should also add both the headphone outputs are perfectly quite. So as a workaround i have been using a Y adapter with the two monitor cables and running them into the second headphone output. This has worked and been noise free. I would however like to get this issue resolved so i don't have to rely on using one of my headphone outputs.

Anyways any info relating to my problem would be appreciated. Whether its possibly a grounding problem or bad capacitor, any feedback would help.
I had similar problems. The most basic thing to start with is to trash all prefs for digi on all your drives and in your root Prefs folder. I had tried a number of things. After I had trashed all prefs, I had re-routed my drive chain (as macbook pro only has one firewire 800 port). This did not solve my main issue, but got rid of the static. Also, make sure that you are running the right version of PT with whatever computer you have along with the system OS. I don't know about Windows, but for Mac it's pretty specific.

General Troubleshooting - Pro Tools LE and HD on Mac OS X

Read through this, follow the trash prefs guide in the middle. But there are some things you should follow in here anyhow.

Good luck.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:39 AM

I tried all these suggestions a good time and had no success. I truly think its a problem with the mbox.. anyone else :)
Old 02-01-2012, 06:20 AM

I do have the exact same problem, only I can still here the distortion/ static through the headphone as well. It's in the right side only. This actually was my excuse to change my 5 years old event monitors thinking they might be the issue. Now my brand new yammy hs80s have the same noise issue. It has to be the mbox.. Any solution anybody??
Old 02-01-2012, 06:47 AM

Bit of a long shot, but I used to get static when my USB or FW cable wasn't plugged in properly..