How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 11-19-2021, 01:07 PM

Default Carbon Latency on tracks routing to Sub Mixes

Hello,

This is my first post.

I have tried to trouble shoot this issue and reviewed the documentation on line.

Currently, Carbon's DSP Mode is working perfectly my tracks. There is zero latency when recording to a track that is sent to my main Monitor outputs. This is true of small and very large session.

My issue is I like to rout all of my tracks to a Sub Mix and then to a print track. The print track is an audio track that is routed to my main Monitor Outputs. This gives me the ability to reference other songs or other mixes by engaging/disengaging the input monitor for the Print track.

If I the track I am recording onto is routing to the Sub Mix, then any other track that is routed to the sub mix has latency when the track is in record mode.

I'm assuming there is a set up issue that I cannot find. Can you please help?

The only way I have found to work around this is the set the output of the track I am recording to, to my main monitor out. Then I have no latency issues but that does not seem like Carbons original intention.

Thank you,
Eric
Old 11-19-2021, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Carbon Latency on tracks routing to Sub Mixes

Welcome to the DUC!

Routing thru buses has often(always?) caused some latency issues. Some questions;
1-Are there any plugins on your "print" track? If yes, make them inactive while tracking.
2-Have you tried DSP-safe'ing the print track?
3-Would your world collapse if you changed your workflow? My 2 cents(and please take it that way), coming from the old days of mixing thru a console, I mix everything to the main outs(no print track) and Bounce to Disk without issue(the mix sounds the same as it did in the session and I avoid any chance of the issue you describe). This is not to say I have never used a print track as I have, but only to get around some other issue such as not being able to complete a BTD(aren't computers fun).

Not sure what your experience level is and no offense is intended, but there are a couple of facts to consider regarding latency and compensation and 1 important detail is that latency on a master track is NOT compensated for(so, depending on plugins and how you monitor, you can cause unintended latency. Another is that ADC works by pushing everything later to match the track with the most(some newbies think ADC is going to make things playback earlier).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-19-2021, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heisericsanderson View Post
Hello,

This is my first post.

I have tried to trouble shoot this issue and reviewed the documentation on line.

Currently, Carbon's DSP Mode is working perfectly my tracks. There is zero latency when recording to a track that is sent to my main Monitor outputs. This is true of small and very large session.

My issue is I like to rout all of my tracks to a Sub Mix and then to a print track. The print track is an audio track that is routed to my main Monitor Outputs. This gives me the ability to reference other songs or other mixes by engaging/disengaging the input monitor for the Print track.

If I the track I am recording onto is routing to the Sub Mix, then any other track that is routed to the sub mix has latency when the track is in record mode.

I'm assuming there is a set up issue that I cannot find. Can you please help?

The only way I have found to work around this is the set the output of the track I am recording to, to my main monitor out. Then I have no latency issues but that does not seem like Carbons original intention.

Thank you,
Eric
Eric, this is the way I always rolled with HD, so I follow the logic.

Are your tracks all showing green, including the bus and print track?
How much latency?

Remember, input monitored tracks aren't latency compensated with non-monitored tracks, too. In other words, if you put the Plugin-Alliance Purple compressor on one track and add 2ms latency, the other tracks aren't offset by that amount, unlike traditional HD workflow where your highest latency rec-enabled track was the system latency.

TDM rules apply here, though. No native plugins on busses record-enabled tracks are routed to, plus the bus delay is stacked with track delay.

Any native processing, on the other hand, IS delaying the buses by that amount (compensated), so a 5ms latency native plugin WILL delay your bus and print by 5ms.
Old 11-28-2021, 10:34 AM

I have never use a print track as a main sub bus for comparing to a reference track ??? .

What I do if I want a reference track to compare against.
Since I always route everything to a main sub bus or 2 Bus. Which is routed to my main outs via a Master Fader Then if I have a reference audio track I simply route it to the main outs also. Then I can just mute the 2 Bus track and unmute the reference track listen then mute it an unmute the 2 Bus

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...