Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2011, 09:43 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 9 and Mac OS X Lion in May 2012 or this time earlier...

The issue of Lion compatibility isn't one of "wanting to be on the bleeding edge."

The issue is that, in a matter of days, someone will no longer be able to buy a new Mac and run Pro Tools on it. Sadly, more than just Pro Tools needs to be updated. Many of us need hardware drivers as well. I'm hoping Apogee releases updates for their Duet soon.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRaden View Post
The issue of Lion compatibility isn't one of "wanting to be on the bleeding edge."

The issue is that, in a matter of days, someone will no longer be able to buy a new Mac and run Pro Tools on it. Sadly, more than just Pro Tools needs to be updated. Many of us need hardware drivers as well. I'm hoping Apogee releases updates for their Duet soon.
And that issue is entirely Apple's fault. For all the things I like about Apple... I HATE their policy on forced obsolescence. How hard/expensive would it be for them to throw in a Snow Leopard DVD for those who need a new computer but can't rely on a bleeding edge OS?

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 07-15-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:

However, this is the big advantage of using a cross-platform application. If OSX temporarily isn't working well, then Windows is an option, or vice versa. However, if you're using plugs and hardware that only work on one platform or the other, you have nobody to blame but yourself for getting into this situation.

D
Windows 7 (x64)Pro
RME Multiface II
Intensity
ATI HD5400 series graphics card
Old 07-15-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:

Not entirely true. You'll still be able to buy any Macs that are already built & boxed. Apple won't be updating those machines to Lion. Build to order machines are another matter.

QAPLA!
Old 07-20-2011, 02:17 PM

As the original post stated, there are some really cool features coming in Lion that I don't want to miss out on either since I don't use my Mac exclusively for Pro Tools. As long as Avid has it together that I can upgrade to Lion sometime in September to coincide with iOS 5 and iCloud, I'll be happy.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.guitars View Post
As the original post stated, there are some really cool features coming in Lion that I don't want to miss out on either since I don't use my Mac exclusively for Pro Tools. As long as Avid has it together that I can upgrade to Lion sometime in September to coincide with iOS 5 and iCloud, I'll be happy.
Can you not partition and dual-boot? or have a second drive reserved for PT only?
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 07-21-2011, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
Can you not partition and dual-boot? or have a second drive reserved for PT only?
I could, and may have to, but I hope I don't have to.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:34 AM

Question Re: Pro Tools 9 and Mac OS X Lion in May 2012 or this time earlier...

OK someone help me out...for the life of me I can't see the attraction. For real audio guys out there, do you really need Lion? Looks like a big WHO CARES to me. I will update only when I am forced to. If your system isn't broke don't break it. I'm all for change when needed.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teda88 View Post
OK someone help me out...for the life of me I can't see the attraction. For real audio guys out there, do you really need Lion? Looks like a big WHO CARES to me. I will update only when I am forced to. If your system isn't broke don't break it. I'm all for change when needed.
+infinity

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 07-21-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco1967 View Post
Hi developers,
this is a reminder that Apple will soon introduce Mac OS X Lion to the market with many very convenient functions, that no one wants to miss. I hope you have learned a lot from the intro of Leopard and Snow Leopard, that you should come along with an compatible update within four weeks and not like before nearly a year. The excuse that you only release updates, that are really functioning is not enough. Like many companies you should have the lion code before release to work on the update to have it on the table when Lion launches. Since now it´s not Digidesign but the smart AVID guys, I hope you improve ;-). In summer 2011 I would like to use Pro Tools 9 with Lion. Thanks in advance if it will be so...
There is an easy way to use pro tools and lion.

Partition your drive. Lion drive and PT drive.

That way those "features" like full screen apps, mission control, launch pad, face time, app store will be available to you.

I don't see how any of those features benefit pro Tools.

I guess there are those how use Pro Tools and those who play with Pro Tools.