Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems

Old 11-06-2010, 04:19 PM

Default Internal HD related issues?

Is there anyone who knows a few confirmed issues that occur when you try to record to an internal HD?

I am trying to determine whether or not it is causing the issues I am facing. I haven't gotten around to buying my firewire 800 drive yet, for the record.

At any rate, here is what is happening.

1) New pro tools session, everything starts standard. Make one instrument track with xpand on it. I play around trying to find the sound I like and while testing it, the bass drops and turns into static instead. Sometimes this issue will go away in 10-15 seconds but sometimes I have to unplug my m-box for a few minutes to get it to sound normal.

I have tested my headphones and they work fine without pro tools.

I run windows 7 and PTLE 8.04
Old 11-14-2010, 10:51 AM

Default Re: Internal HD related issues?

Bump please. Still having static issues.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:55 PM

Define "internal hard drive". If you mean your system drive(or a partition on that drive) that's almost a guarantee of bad performance and other issues. Adding a second internal drive is the cheapest and best performance you can get(but you told us zip about your computer). Also, be aware that new Avid recommendations are for Windows 7 users to NOT use firewire drives and the are actually suggesting USB2 drives (yes I am shocked as well). In any case, if your computer can fit more internal drives, that IS the best performance, and cheapest(I run 5 internal drives on my rig) Remember, avoid any "green" drives and make sure they are 7200 rpm(or faster, but I would not pay for Velociraptors as the performance is not significantly improved).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-17-2010, 02:02 AM

Luckily I have had no issues with the internal drive on my 14 month old Acer. Had a ton of issues, too many to mention, with my old Compaq V2000. Arrrrrrrrrrrg what a heap of steaming turd that was.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:48 AM

By internal drive you are referring NOT to the system drive, but a second internal SATA hard-drive correct? If not, then that's going to be your issue. For audio recording you should NEVER use the system drive under any circumstances---always have a secondary drive.