Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2012, 02:59 PM

Default Dongle?

I'm looking at an MBox Mini (with PT8) at a pawn shop. Does it require an iLok dongle to authorize it, or do the MBox units act as the authorization?

I appreciate Avid/Digidesigns' need/desire to keep this stuff legit, but it makes purchasing "used" stuff rather difficult.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:30 PM

Default Re: Dongle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTempo View Post
I'm looking at an MBox Mini (with PT8) at a pawn shop. Does it require an iLok dongle to authorize it, or do the MBox units act as the authorization?

I appreciate Avid/Digidesigns' need/desire to keep this stuff legit, but it makes purchasing "used" stuff rather difficult.
Pro Tools 8 LE (there is no just "Pro Tools 8") uses the interface as the license authorization. Pro Tools 9 (there is no "Pro tools 9 LE") or later uses an iLok dongle.

If the box has been opened and a chance the registration has been used you also need to make sure you also have an Avid transfer of ownership paperwork completed. See http://www.avid.com/US/support/transfer/audio. If the current owner (e.g. the pawn store) are not the registered owner with Avid or they have not already done this paperwork with whoever sold to them you may be out of luck.

Buyer beware. You don't want to get stuck with a system where its not registered to you and therefore may have problems in future doing hardware/software upgrades/crossgrades.

Darryl