Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 06-24-2019, 01:35 PM

Default Nudge S3 tracks via jog wheel

Is it possible on the dock to nudge through tracks on the S3 by turning the jog wheel on the dock? A la the old ICON behaviour?
Old 07-23-2019, 08:36 AM

Default Re: Nudge S3 tracks via jog wheel

I don't know that there's ever been one included in any version of Eucon but there is a way to program a custom wheel command to emulate this with all Eucon devices. I originally made it for the Transport, Artist Mix & Control setup so I'm sure it'd work with the S3. I use it with my Dock/Mix configuration now.
• Avid Dock,
Artist Series Mix & iPad 7th gen & EuCon 2022.9
• DADman/Eucon monitoring
• BSS (DAN + 100), QSC DCA 1644, JBL 7 Series
• MTRX Studio // 7.1 (7.1.4 pending)

www.quesound.com
Old 07-25-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewk View Post
I don't know that there's ever been one included in any version of Eucon but there is a way to program a custom wheel command to emulate this with all Eucon devices. I originally made it for the Transport, Artist Mix & Control setup so I'm sure it'd work with the S3. I use it with my Dock/Mix configuration now.
How did you program this?
Old 07-25-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjgam View Post
How did you program this?
•First enable "Link Track and Edit Selection" in the edit window. This has to be enabled for this to work.
•Next, in EuControl create a custom Jog Wheel command named "Track Scroll" using the keys "P" for turning left (counter clockwise) and ";" turning right (clockwise). This emulates the up and down navigation of the tracks in the Edit Window.
•Next, assign the Custom Wheel command to a button by selecting a button, clicking "Command" which then prompts you to choose the type of action.
•Select "Wheel" and then choose the wheel to assign it to. In this case choose "Dock Jog". For the "Function" menu navigate to the "Custom" menu selection and there you should find the "Track Scroll" wheel command you created earlier. Select it. Close windows. Done.

It's an on/off toggle with PT so it stays active until you disable it. There isn't a way to differentiate it being on or off visually so you just have to be aware of when it's active. It'd be nice if we could have the buttons change colors or blink to show it's current state in the upcoming version of Control. It seems a little convoluted to build but it works and response is pretty fast too. And this can likely be assigned to and DAW really. Just substitute the keystrokes and it should work just the same.

Cheers,
Chris
• Avid Dock,

www.quesound.com
Old 07-25-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
•First enable "Link Track and Edit Selection" in the edit window. This has to be enabled for this to work.
•Next, in EuControl create a custom Jog Wheel command named "Track Scroll" using the keys "P" for turning left (counter clockwise) and ";" turning right (clockwise). This emulates the up and down navigation of the tracks in the Edit Window.
•Next, assign the Custom Wheel command to a button by selecting a button, clicking "Command" which then prompts you to choose the type of action.
•Select "Wheel" and then choose the wheel to assign it to. In this case choose "Dock Jog". For the "Function" menu navigate to the "Custom" menu selection and there you should find the "Track Scroll" wheel command you created earlier. Select it. Close windows. Done.

It's an on/off toggle with PT so it stays active until you disable it. There isn't a way to differentiate it being on or off visually so you just have to be aware of when it's active. It'd be nice if we could have the buttons change colors or blink to show it's current state in the upcoming version of Control. It seems a little convoluted to build but it works and response is pretty fast too. And this can likely be assigned to and DAW really. Just substitute the keystrokes and it should work just the same.

Cheers,
Chris
Wow cool - thanks for your careful explanation. Interesting your point about working for any DAW. I am on Logic - I suppose I would have to able to set Logic to do the equivalent of your first line - First enable "Link Track and Edit Selection" in the edit window.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:40 PM

Sure thing. Happy to help.

I'm not familiar with how Logic navigates but it seems like there would be an equivalent keystroke for moving around tracks.
• Avid Dock,

www.quesound.com
Old 07-26-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Sure thing. Happy to help.

I'm not familiar with how Logic navigates but it seems like there would be an equivalent keystroke for moving around tracks.
I will try the arrow keys.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:29 AM

Just got back from vacation and tried using the up and down arrows for custom wheel commands in Logic and can confirm that I can scroll through tracks with the Dock wheel now. Very slick. Thanks again bewk.

Makes me wonder what other tricks I can do in Logic now with that beautiful heavy steel wheel.

Right now using the printed labels on the Dock as guides I have the following for the Wheel in Logic:

1. Jog
2. Shuttle
3. Scrub
4. Zoom Horizontal
5. Zoom Vertical
6. Locator Position, Locator Left and Right
7, Punch Position, Punch Left and Right
8. Marker Position and Length
9 Zoom Track
10. Zoom Wave
11. Nudge/Move Selection
12. And now Track Scroll