How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2016, 06:36 PM

Default Various Digi 192 compatibility questions

Hello!

Not sure where the perfect category for this is, so apologies if I'm in the wrong arena.

A while ago I was given a Mac G5, 2 Digi 192s, and PT HD 7.3. I'm upgrading to a new computer (there's a guy in my area who specializes in refurbished Macs) and have a few questions before I purchase:

-Is there any computer limitations I need to take into consideration for running either the 192 or PT 7.3 when deciding what to buy?

-Are there any foreseeable troubles transferring PT HD 7.3 over to a new computer? I have the iLok but am unsure about the install process.

I am currently not interested in upgrading to a newer version of PT if I can help it.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:22 PM

Default Re: Various Digi 192 compatibility questions

What exactly do you have? A HD1? HD2? PCI-X? PCIe? Accel? Why do you want to upgrade? If its only a low-end HD/TDM systems you just don't have much TDM power/voices and upgrading the computer won't change that. And you are limited with large VI sessions etc. with only being a 32-bit DAW. Lots of limitations, unless you need to track sessions with TDM/DSP low-latency and use legacy TDM plugs this is likely not a good idea.

Lots of limitations around OS X versions you need and what hardware they will run on, and having the correct slots (PCI-X or PCIe etc.) needed for your HD TDM cards. That you have to ask is not a good sign, running this old stuff is general best left to experts who grew up with it and need to keep it around for compatibility reasons.

You have little hope of running Pro Tools 7.3 on anything that looks like a modern Mac computer. You need to go study the systems requirements, like this http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ility/en352429. Work out what OS X version you need and then buy a computer that is capable of running that old OS X release. You can't take an arbitrary Mac and just install any old OS X on it. It has to have supported that OS X version when shipped or Apple locks it out. Pro Tools 7.3 will at least get you onto early Intel Mac Pro... as long as your HD cards are PCIe (going to say a PCI-X expansion chassis would be a waste of money).

Unless you are setting out to want run a computer museum you are very likely better off upgrading to a modern Pro Tools system with PCIe TDM cards (if you have PCI-X today) and Pro Tools 10 *or* Pro Tools 12 HD Native. Or just abandon HD and the 192, sell 'em on EBay and buy a modern open interface and use Pro Tools 12 standard.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-25-2016 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:22 AM

I can't answer the specific questions about HD1/2/etc b/c the system is currently loaned out to a buddy. I know it runs off a PCI-e card though.

My reason for upgrading is that the G5 is too slow to efficiently run sessions on it and the Ram is maxed. I've been doing a vast majority of my work on a different system - iMac w/ Echo Audiofire 12 running Reaper as my DAW. I prefer the workflow of Reaper, and all the proprietary hurdles of Pro Tools have always been offputting.

I'm about to invest in an upgrade of some sort for my studio. I figure there are three routes to take:

-Since the last supported version of PT HD (as far as I can find online) with the 192 is 10.0.1, I could purchase that version, seek out the most intense Mac I can find that's compatible and just max myself out, never upgrade.

-Use the DigiGrid system to link the 192s to a new Mac with fewer restrictions.

-Sell off the whole PT HD setup, buy new Mac and something in the Apogee/Antelope variety. Continue running Reaper. Keep making people who want to have me mix their stuff consolidate files.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:01 PM

Interfaces are fully functional up to the latest PT software.

PT7.3 compatibility you can see here.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanwasoba View Post
I can't answer the specific questions about HD1/2/etc b/c the system is currently loaned out to a buddy. I know it runs off a PCI-e card though.

My reason for upgrading is that the G5 is too slow to efficiently run sessions on it and the Ram is maxed. I've been doing a vast majority of my work on a different system - iMac w/ Echo Audiofire 12 running Reaper as my DAW. I prefer the workflow of Reaper, and all the proprietary hurdles of Pro Tools have always been offputting.

I'm about to invest in an upgrade of some sort for my studio. I figure there are three routes to take:

-Since the last supported version of PT HD (as far as I can find online) with the 192 is 10.0.1, I could purchase that version, seek out the most intense Mac I can find that's compatible and just max myself out, never upgrade.

-Use the DigiGrid system to link the 192s to a new Mac with fewer restrictions.

-Sell off the whole PT HD setup, buy new Mac and something in the Apogee/Antelope variety. Continue running Reaper. Keep making people who want to have me mix their stuff consolidate files.
How many cards does it have, if it's a single card (i.e. HD1) then it's so mind numbingly limited on DSP voices that why would you bother with it? And of you are running mostly native plugins/VIs etc. then you want off Pro Tools TDM and onto 64-bit Pro Tools 12 with a modern computer. And make sure it really is a PCIe card not a PCI-X card.

If you really needed/wanted an old Pro Tools HD/TDM system (and some folks do for very valid reasons) then you would know that and undertand exactly what you are getting into. If you don't then just don't. It's not what you need, run away.

And Pro Tools with HD/TDM is all 32-bit so you can whack as much DRAM into the Mac as you can, 8G or above, won't make much difference, you do get disk cache with Pro Tools 10 HD which can use memory above the 32-bit limit. but that will cost you thousands just for the HD software.

If you like Reaper... then use Reaper and an open-interface. Reaper is a fine daw. Sell all the HD stuff on EBay and put that towards a new, modern computer. Forget Digigrid, you have complex stuff you don't fully understand already, why go another complex route for anything? When there are no end of wonderful Thunderbolt and USB interfaces out there, an old 192 is just nothing special (unless you have a large HD system already then it is a fine interface to use on that system). If you want to mix for other people in Pro Tools then buy whatever interface you want and Pro Tools standard. Lots of studios/artists will not expect you to mix with HD/TDM plugins today, and it is better for everybody that you don't.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:17 AM

Again, thanks for the advice. I'm not in love with the 192s, it's just what I have and I am exploring my options.

Anybody want to buy an outdated PT HD system? I know a guy.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanwasoba View Post
Mac G5, 2 Digi 192s, and PT HD 7.3. I'm upgrading to a new computer
My recommendation (as you said that is a PCI-express model) is to buy a 2009-2010 Mac Pro (4,1 or 5,1 model) and install OSX 10.6.8 & PT 8.1.1 -- that is the most stable combination for HD cards. And because it is a 32-bit system without Disc Cache feature, 6-8GB memory is all you need.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:27 AM

So what ur saing this configuration will work with 192s not being hd
Old 04-21-2018, 02:02 PM

Default Various Digi 192 compatibility questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiramiramirror View Post
So what ur saing this configuration will work with 192s not being hd
What configuration *exactly*? Are you asking a new question for yourself? If so exactly what you have is required, there are lots of mostly software compatibility and computer issues to be careful about.

“HD” is confusing marketing naming... the 192 is a DigiLink interface, one of several Avid and third party DigiLink interfaces compatible with Pro Tools HD. And Avid has abandoned that “HD” naming anyhow in part because of this exact confusion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2018, 06:27 PM

Beyond the questions above, the 192 is a solid interface and if you can't make good recordings with them, its not the hardware

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave