Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 01-15-2004, 03:53 PM

Default writing xml midname files for korg N364!

Hello,

I am like many others which are having problems getting my patch name list for my midi.
I am presently using a mac G4 800mgz single processor, digi001 6.1.2 . I went on line and found some directions for rewriting the ams files by rewriting the xml file of anouther Korg "trinity". I thought since it also has programs and combinations like my korg "N364" it would be compatible.
When I renamed my ams midname file, I got 2 combination banks to work but not the rest. I have not renamed every patch in the banks I figured if I can get the banks to be recognized then I would go back and retype the patch names. I called digidesign and went to the Pro-Access line willing to pay for this issue, (I think was caused by digi in the first place) but I was told that no one there really knows how to address this problem and that I should go to this help forum "DUC". She told me that they don't really worry about this because every one that calls, comes on the forum or gets the instructions and they all get this problem resolved.

I have researched xml programing It can get quite indepth. I am not against learning a new and usefull process. I am sure that I probably put in some wrong information because now I get no sounds. I can revert back because I saved the original ams file that I copied. I would mostly appreciate any help. My Korg "N364" has 4 program banks and 4 combination banks as well as GM. I would like to make all of these patches available to record with. My recording has come to a stop and all of my past recorings are worthless with out my midi,(Drums,Keys,etc..) since last May!

Is there anyone out there that knows how to do this process? Or have the midname files for the N364? Thank you in advance because the lady from pro tools said they never hear back from the people agian after reffering to HERE!

Thank You,
Beaner

Old 01-28-2004, 04:55 PM

Default Re: writing xml midname files for korg N364!

I'll just tell you what I did. I have an X2.
I took my OMS patch list from the OS9 side and used this free utility called Cherry Picker (I think, Cherry something--you'll find it). It converted my OMS file to XML or midnam. It did't work straight away, but I used a working Korg midnam file to cut and paste some info that was different from my 'Cherry' file and it finally worked. It took a little work, but I got it to work.

Maybe you could try something like this?

Hope to be Helpful.

EjA
Old 01-29-2004, 10:43 AM

EJA,

Thanks for the suggestion I have not been able to find the cherry picker software yet. I have found refferences to it but not the actual software. Do you have any idea where to find it?

Thanks,
Beaner
Old 02-05-2004, 09:41 PM

Hi-
I have a bunch of Korg .midnam's. Approximately 40. Unfortunately N364 isn't one of them.
Maybe one of them might get you closer than the Trinity template. Maybe the NS5R?
If you need one just let me know and I'll email it to you.

-Mark
Old 02-06-2004, 10:53 AM

Hi Mark,

Thanks for responding. I would love to try one of the others but I don't know which one. I see several others available in pro tools and on other web sites.I have tried others. From what I understand the combinations are not available on the triton either. I am in the process of finding someone that knows the xml process so I can get all of the combinations and programs available(once and for all). Once again thanks for responding.

Thanks,
Beaner
Old 02-15-2010, 10:14 AM

This might be six years too late. I have just started using Pro Tools. PC version of PT 8.0.0 does have a midnam file for the Korg N364. By default mine is located in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Digidesign\MIDI Patch Names\Digidesign\Korg.

I seek a midnam for my Korg NS5R if anyone can assist that would be grand. So far I have found the Korg NX5R midnam is a start but not entirely appropriate for the device.

Tubbins
Old 03-12-2010, 06:30 PM

Digi really needs to release a utility that will allow this to be user friendly.. there are alot of people using keyboards that they would like to pick the programs from pt and just start to work. I can understand them not wanting to keep up with every piece of gear that's released into the market place, but at least provide a way for your users to use their gear with protools... instead of it being so complicated....or making it be yet another unsupported feature that the competion has mastered years ago...
[email protected]
M42 Entertainment Myspace