Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2010, 11:58 PM

Default studio quality

i want to know how to mix my beat with my vocals, like how they sound on the radio... lol if u get what i mean

any plug-ins or etc. to help me achieve this goal on pro tools le 7.4?
Old 11-30-2010, 03:27 AM

Default Re: studio quality

Quote:
like how they sound on the radio
Local or worldwide?

Take your favorite albums and songs, listen to them on your studio monitors over and over and over. Get your own songs as close as you can soundwise, and don't worry too much about plugins. The ones included with PT are not bad.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:00 AM

Yeah, its not which plugins you use, its making what you have, do the job you need. That simply takes practice and skill(something that we can't post on the DUC). I would sign up for the air users blog as Russ has made dozens of great video tutorials that you should take advantage of.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-30-2010, 11:16 AM

This book really helped me in my quest to learn mixing. (Mixing Engineers handbook)

http://www.amazon.com/Mixing-Enginee.../dp/0872887235

It goes in depth on some concepts involved in Mixing. You must master these techniques before you get that polished sound. (I usaully work in this order also)

1. EQ
2. Compression/limiting
3. Reverb/Delay
4. Panning
5. Balance and mix
6. Mastering

If you spend the time and learn what the book has to offer, it will go a long way. Listening to your favorite cd is also great to help you with volume balance within certain styles.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:19 AM

Hey,
I did a 5 plus hour instruction DVD on mixing and mastering for the "radio" sound.

Check it out!

http://www.groove3.com/str/from-drop-to-top.html

Groove 3 rocks. We bring the goods and make you great!
Avid HD Native PCIe Core | Pro Tools HD 2018.1
Old 12-02-2010, 03:24 PM

thanks to everyone who responded but im still wondering how to get my vocals to be clear and mix well with the beat... i have a AKG Precision 220 microphone and i would like to know which audiosuite from protools will help me with this. Thanks in advance
Old 12-02-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
but im still wondering how to get my vocals to be clear and mix well with the beat... i have a AKG Precision 220 microphone and i would like to know which audiosuite from protools will help me with this. Thanks in advance
You don't get it (no offence).

We can't offer any advice without hearing what's going on in your session. We make mixing decisions based on what we hear. That's what I do at least.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTR1LL View Post
thanks to everyone who responded but im still wondering how to get my vocals to be clear and mix well with the beat... i have a AKG Precision 220 microphone and i would like to know which audiosuite from protools will help me with this. Thanks in advance
the plugins on either side of your head are what you need to be using.

Once you can hear WHY your vocals don't mix well with the beat, THEN you know how to fix it so they do. Otherwise you are a blind man in a cave hunting for mice with a nerf gun.

I might suggest something like Dr Ford's videos in conjunction with something like this...

http://www.moultonlabs.com/full/product01

In the end, you can't mix what you can't hear...

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 12-03-2010, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.G. Killa View Post
the plugins on either side of your head are what you need to be using.

Once you can hear WHY your vocals don't mix well with the beat, THEN you know how to fix it so they do. Otherwise you are a blind man in a cave hunting for mice with a nerf gun.

I might suggest something like Dr Ford's videos in conjunction with something like this...

http://www.moultonlabs.com/full/product01

In the end, you can't mix what you can't hear...
ok.. thanks
Old 12-07-2010, 01:59 AM

For plugins, you'll need the Digirack EQ3 for EQing, the Digirack Dyn3 for compression, the Digirack or AIR Delays for delays and some D-Verb for reverb. Maxim on the 2bus for some limiting and maybe Dyn3 for 2bus compression, if you're into that.

That said, you don't need special plugins do make things good. The source material, performance and recording quality determines about 70% of the final result, another 28% are your mixing skills (read the books, watch the videos posted above to improve and practice, practice, practice). The remaining 2% can be done with getting "better" plugins (but I don't know which they could be and I tried and owned a lot).

I just did a mix shootout for myself where I did one mix with only the stock PT plugins and another mix of the same song using only my outboard gear (including Soundtracs Megas console, EL Distressor, Lexicon PCM70) and the difference is frightening small regarding the money I spend on the hardware gear... I have been way faster using the hardware, though.