Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 06-12-2004, 09:32 AM

Default Re: Behringer ADA 8000............

Quote:
I dont think anyone could honestly tell if (when tracked properly) an ADA was used or a Digimax. A buddy had his digimax over, and we both could`nt hear the diff..........still pleased!!..

I have the Digimax LT and I can tell...so here are two options for you:

1) Get some sound proofing up and really good monitors so you too can tell the difference..

2) You and your friend need to make hearing test appointments as soon as possible if you are going to remain recording engineers
Old 06-12-2004, 11:01 AM

Flautista,

We have been fooling around.
There has to be inexpensive gear and sometimes it isn´t even all that bad, say if tweaked and treated optimally nice quality is possible.

Guess you would be ripped off by the damn tax / customs thingy just like us Europeans, but in general you might consider that there are very interesting technicians who can modify and vastly improve on devices and make them classes better by often relatively small expenses.

Jim Williams ( in USA ) is one of them. He has an incredible repertoir on modding gear. Also on Behringer boxes.

That´s a way to achieve a lot with little money.

Lalaman

PS: Should you be sending out anything to him, first contact your customs department and ask how to avoid to be charged for your own unit when shipped back.
Old 06-12-2004, 11:30 AM

You know, I picked up the ADA8000 last week to try it out for myself. All in all, it's not a bad box for the money. After some listening comparisons I found the preamps to be comparable to the stock 001 preamps (which is not necessarily a good thing). However, the conversion is slightly better than the 001. I also demoed a Digimax once and found the unit to be quite nice, but the preamps a bit sterile for my taste. The Digimax did sound better to me than the Behringer unit. I also compared the Behringer pre's to my RNP. Not surprisingly the RNP sounds *much* better than the ADA8000.

So, you get what you pay for. But the Behringer unit is certainly a great way to get OK sounding conversion on the cheap and add eight more inputs to the 001 or 002.
Old 06-12-2004, 12:35 PM

Hey Keith............I`m not in any way suggesting that the ADA is the didigmax lt. My point is that the ADA "works" extremely well. And for anyone looking to add the 8 inputs at this price, to me is a no brainer. It`s a great way to be up and running, with very positive results, and not breaking the bank. Now I can focus on saving up some dough, for some serious pres.

...In the meantime, I`m tracking live drums with good results. I think that I said before, that someone like you maybe able to hear the difference, but most civilians won`t.

...when we get the coin.....we`ll upgrade......(but still keep the ADA..)
Mac Pro 2.66 Quad
Adam A7
Waves Gold, VSeries
Pultec Bundle
URS, McDSP
Old 06-12-2004, 04:07 PM

Dogcode, I see you took my post as it was meant and you weren't offended by assuming I was saying something else.

No need to go into debt for any gear. The interest rates are just crazy these days. The ADA 8000 pres have been compared to the 001 pres so if you are tracking drums remember that they may be a little dark so remove some later and add in a bit of highs.

The Digimax is very sterile sounding, no coloration at all, which works fine for me with certain applications, toms thru MD421's for one.
If I need coloration, then for dark/mids I use the API 312 or if I want more bottom/top I use the Neve 1073. I firmly believe I have all configurations covered for my immediate needs, though if they should change, their is always the extra sterile Digi Pre or Neve 1272 & 1081 for coloration.

..Anyway buy what you can afford and as you grow, buy better...but if one can afford the "better" now, then by all means DON'T stop short of what your customers really deserve!

And what does our customers deserve:
1) We learning our hardware/ software to the best of our knowledge
2) We learning to track, mix, and if need be- master to the best of our ability
3) We having on hand and readily available the best (we can afford) equipment
4) We remembering that we have't yet arrived at what we can be and that #1-3 should always be progressing in a forward motion

Keith over and out.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:22 AM

Quote:
... so remove some later and add in a bit of highs.

Preferrably before the convertors, though. Better use outboard EQ ( rather substractive, especially when the EQ wouldn´t be of the flattering kind ) than trying to add HF digitally. Helps avoiding brittleness.

Lalaman
Old 06-14-2004, 08:05 PM

I have a friend who owns a local music store. He is a Behringer Authorized dealer. He has an ADA 8000 in stock among other items. Email me if someone wants one.

I noticed today two local music stores going out of business in High Point, NC. We all are guilty, myself included of using the 1-800 number stores.

He is one of 2 left in that area.