Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2020, 07:29 PM

Default Re: With SSDs becoming mainstream can pro tools now be on the main OS boot drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBK View Post
I may be taking the term "glued" too literally but what's stopping me from just putting in a new m.2 drive if the system SSD fails? Its just held in by a screw?

Im sure I'm missing something haha.
Nothing is stopping you.

You have a Windows PC with a Samsung M.2 drive on the motherboard right? If you ever have a problem with that drive you undo a screw or two and replace it. Those M.2 drives are so fast and so low cost... in the same ballpark as slow old SATA that is all I would use if possible. One is often enough, unless you need more space for samples.

You can even clone to an M.2 drive in an external case/caddy and if needed swap that with an internal one... a handy fast recovery... (and the likely failure cause there is not the drive hardware but user finger errors deleting or messing up software).

You are extremely unlikely to have a problem with that M.2 SSD, caused by drive wear or anything else. I would worry more about being hit by a bus, and then eaten by a bear...
Old 07-27-2020, 07:35 PM

Default Re: With SSDs becoming mainstream can pro tools now be on the main OS boot drive?

The number you are looking for is p e cycles not tbw. The number of times things can be written and erased then rewritten before it fails. those other numbers are usually associated with a five year warranty which apple doesn’t provide with AppleCare. If I’m not mistaken it’s limited to 3 years then you’re on your own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2020, 07:40 PM

Thanks for continuing to try to enlighten me, but the numbers "I am looking for" are the exact ones I quoted and the ones most commonly given for drives. And the ones that are most useful for real-world users to think about. If P/E was a more useful or more widely quoted number I would have used that. They are all related, but P/E is more interesting to engineers looking at the NAND flash/SSD internals.
Old 07-28-2020, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBK View Post
I may be taking the term "glued" too literally but what's stopping me from just putting in a new m.2 drive if the system SSD fails? Its just held in by a screw?

Im sure I'm missing something haha.
Depends on your hardware. Apple has started to solder in quite some time ago, which is why Mac Mini for example is less desirable than it used to be.
Old 07-28-2020, 01:36 AM

Default With SSDs becoming mainstream can pro tools now be on the main OS boot drive?

P/E is prob the number they multiply the capacity of the drive to get the figure you came up with tbw. I say tomato you say tomatoe. It’s basically the same thing. I’m just being more specific.

Last edited by spinsong; 07-28-2020 at 01:50 AM.
Old 07-28-2020, 01:40 AM

No. PE means technical stress test where you write to an empty cell, then erase it, then write again and so on. That is so low level and means writing the cell 100% and also erasing it to 0% which never happens in real world. So while it is a good measure between the geeks desinging these things, it has zero use for end users who never do that to their hardware. Not ever.

Darryl has good knowledge about this, you should respect it.
Old 07-28-2020, 01:51 AM

Default With SSDs becoming mainstream can pro tools now be on the main OS boot drive?

I do have respect for both of you. You’re very high posters. Nonetheless, the test you want is the stress test, and that’s the whole point. You can look up countless posts of people having issues with boot drives failing with audio on spinners. What makes you think ssds are much different. Write erase is all they do.

Old 07-28-2020, 02:04 AM

Tbw is a complete erase

Old 07-28-2020, 02:06 AM

Nope. TBW is estimate for terabytes written. That is real-world concept. As in useful for someone working with audio. PE is hard fact and only useful if you are designing next generation SSD five years before your neighbor can be buying it from the store.
Old 07-28-2020, 02:12 AM

You know the concept of IOPS, right? So if you think 100k IOPS (on average 4k, of which 30% are writes) equals 120MB/s of writes, or 10TBW/day, you get a better picture why the TBW number is more useful than the geek stress test which never happens. That (IOPS number) was more important with spinners, but once you think about this for one minute you realise how TBW number translates to real world. That is after all what you were looking for, right? Comparison between spinner and flash.