Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2008, 01:49 PM

Default glide automation still works?

I used to do this all the time, but I haven't in a while, and now I can't seem to make it work. I want to glide automation on an aux track full of plugs to a new setting, with the sole purpose of avoiding the resonant "thunk" that sometimes happens when certain plugs (in this case, Eqium) go thorough a snapshot change. I can't seem to make it work. The automation just jumps to the new setting. Any thoughts? Did something change? I am using PT 7.3.1
thanks

www.tompaul.com
Old 01-27-2008, 02:47 AM

Default Re: glide automation still works?

Works OK in 7.4.
Of course some plugs are going to thump or make noises regardless. Waves Lin MB for example needs to re-calculate the phase coherency on the fly so you don't want to be automating that one where it can be heard.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:37 AM

The easy way to put a glide at a severe automation change is to use "Clear Special" in the Edit menu. Make a selection over the change the length you want the glide to be. Select "Clear Special>All automation". In your case, you might just want to select Plug-In Automation. This will put new break points at the beginning and end of the selection and ramp the automation between the two. I should add that, depending on your computer's power, writing glides over many channels at the same time with big plugins can tax the system quickly.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
I used to do this all the time, but I haven't in a while, and now I can't seem to make it work. I want to glide automation on an aux track full of plugs to a new setting, with the sole purpose of avoiding the resonant "thunk" that sometimes happens when certain plugs (in this case, Eqium) go thorough a snapshot change. I can't seem to make it work. The automation just jumps to the new setting. Any thoughts? Did something change? I am using PT 7.3.1
thanks
First of all, I don't think glide works with snapshot settings in certain plug-ins . . . for instance IR reverbs.

But having said that, are you by any chance also using latch prime?

I had this problem for a while. Then I noticed that I was at the same time using latch prime.
So you do the glide, then when you hit play it replaces the glide with the latch prime setting.

If you hit undo a few times you will get back to the glide. Or what I have started to do is just click in the track to reset the cursor position thus thus removing the latch prime setting.

I hope I've expressed that right, it is a little confusing.

hth, jim
Old 01-27-2008, 03:11 PM

thanks for the thoughts.
i do use latch prime, but I am trying to do the glide while stopped. I seem to remember doing it this way before. I would put the cursor on the point I wanted to glide from, then make a selection for the desired glide duration, set the plug to the target setting, and then hit opt+shift+/. this just wipes out the automation and makes a snap to the new setting, rather than making a smooth transition.
I will try the "special" technique.

thanks

www.tompaul.com
Old 01-27-2008, 05:13 PM

Exactly as i found tomcat.

Think about it this way. You've defined a region and changed some automatable setting (forget the fact that you just commanded protools to do a glide). Once you hit play the primed setting is written over the glide you just made.

If you were to turn off the latch prime pref, or be in read automation mode you would see that glide works perfectly.

It's not quite a bug, but it would be convenient if the Glide command over-rode Latch prime.
Here's my original take on this.