Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2016, 02:34 AM

Default Recording through plugin on aux tracks bussed to audio tracks

I was wondering if anyone could help me answer a question! I have looked everywhere online and have only found mixed opinions!

Ok... If I setup aux tracks with input from the interface and record through a plugin on that aux track then bussed to an audio track for printing... that gives me the plugin sound recorded to tape... I'm using the SSL E channel for slight changes in eq and compression before tape! Nothing major....

My question is... By doing this am I creating phase alignment issues? Or does ADC componsate for this?

Not using RTAS at all! All TDM... And all the same plugin on each channel!
Old 07-13-2016, 03:46 AM

Default Re: Recording through plugin on aux tracks bussed to audio tracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonepicker View Post
And all the same plugin on each channel!
With this, you're good for sure. While it's not something I do regularly, I know very well respected engineers that do. If it works for you, do it!

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:10 AM

I would test this routing and listen for any latency build-up. If it sounds good, it IS good. Having said that, why do this? There is no sonic advantage over inserting the plugin on the audio track you record to. Or does it free up resources on a system that is maybe not quite as powerful as you'd like?(that I do understand). You can also use the audiosuite version of the same plugin and render the audio in place(although I get that this would take more time). Just being devil's advocate in case you haven't considered all the options

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-13-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
If it sounds good, it IS good.
Quote of the year!

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15
Old 07-13-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonepicker View Post
... that gives me the plugin sound recorded to tape...
Yes it does, but ...

If you print the processed signal, you are potentially "painting yourself into a corner". If the track doesn't sit quite right in the mix, then you'll be attempting to reverse engineer that processing. If you print flat, you can monitor through plugs and keep tweaking during tracking and mixing. Need to revise the mix later? No problem; just re-adjust the processing as needed.

Doing a VO record, and the script got revised? Carefully repeat the mic setup, and the revised copy should match - because you recorded it flat.

On the other hand, I can think of an application where you might want to print the processing. Consider a field recording, and the client wants the final processed audio immediately. No time for a mix ---> must process and print mix while recording. Even in this case though, I still record the flat signals (just in case...) as well as the processed mix.

My 2 cents !!!
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume

Last edited by EGS; 07-13-2016 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:04 AM

^^^^ amen!
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 07-13-2016, 05:33 PM

Thanks guys for all the input! My main concern was tracks being out of phase... Like I said I'm only doing minimal cuts and gains on eq and very very little compression and only when needed! Thanks again guys
Old 07-13-2016, 05:58 PM

I am on HDN and have done this on rare occasion. I generally process after the recording stage. But because I am now Native plugins are auto bypassed with LLM enabled when audio tracks are record enabled. Latency can be an issue if monitoring the processed tracks. Reduce the buffer to compensate if you can. Having so many aux tracks as inputs makes sessions a little unwieldy but you can always hide them when you are finished with recording.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:29 PM

I always get rid of the aux's aftering tracking is done! Another reason I like to do this is because now I have more Dsp for mixing! Meaning it's already sounding good because of the pre processing! I now don't need as much eq'ing post! Therefore, to me, freeing up Dsp!
Old 07-13-2016, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusX-1Bk2 View Post
I am on HDN and have done this on rare occasion. I generally process after the recording stage. But because I am now Native plugins are auto bypassed with LLM enabled when audio tracks are record enabled. Latency can be an issue if monitoring the processed tracks. Reduce the buffer to compensate if you can. Having so many aux tracks as inputs makes sessions a little unwieldy but you can always hide them when you are finished with recording.
Hmm, YMMV, but I have never used LLM nor have I ever needed it. I tracks bands with maybe a max of 30 live inputs(my template session has around 50 tracks in it to start), while doing 5 stereo headphone mixes from the session(5 AUX sends on every track) and run a 64 buffer and run probably 40-50 plugins(between EQ's, compressors, reverbs and channel strips). Never had a complaint about latency in the phones

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave