Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 01-17-2010, 05:14 AM

Default Altiverb 7

Looks very good for post:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAdUOhm0J4g

I really like the new browser.

By the way, I'll take credit for the clapper to IR idea. I suggested it to them years ago.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:50 AM

Default Re: Altiverb 7

I think there'll be a few of us taking that credit, I've been doing it and telling everyone about it since an IR reverb came with Nuendo 1 :)
Old 01-17-2010, 07:11 AM

Great! "Clapperboard to IR" sounds like a great idea! A clapperboard is far from an ideal impulse but lets see how it sounds when it´s here. AE always sayd that IRs made with starter pistols and other "un-ideal" bangs would sound highly coloured due to the very long duration of the impulse and it´s self-sound. But maybe they found a way to compensate. In the end there are so many different sounding clapperboards and ways to hit the clap. Maybe they will implement Ambient, Deneke and other smart-slates plus hard, soft and medium smack modes ;-)

Frank.

P.S.: Will be intersting to see how many thousand people will take credit for Bins when they find their way into PT
Old 01-17-2010, 08:04 AM

"when" Frank? more of an "if" surely?
Old 01-17-2010, 08:20 AM

I realized after I posted that that I was parroting the Windows 7 ad campaign.

In any case, it looks like they improved upon the clapper to IR concept with the "similar" button which finds a pristine IR that is close to the clapper "rough.".

I just hope the snapshot automation is still there (or improved).
Old 01-17-2010, 09:56 AM

Yesterday I went to NAMM and met with them. Altiverb 7 has some great new features. The issue I have had with Altiverb is the use of them in regards to automation. We talked in detail last year about that and they addresses the way they approached their automation. Now it looks as if it can be counted on reliably and no longer need (although you can still do it) snapshot automation.
They also have a feature called similar where you get something like a room that isn't quite what you need but is close and you can then search for similar rooms that will help narrow down your choices.
Also the download ability of new presets via the Internet is cool.
I was told between $100 and $120 to upgrade a Ver 6 to the new Ver#7. Available in May.
Add me to the list!

As for the "Clapperboard " idea, that was a promise by the Sony IR hardware reverb 10 years ago. It is nothing new, but they way Altiverb approached it is to have the "Denecke' clapper as a preset so if your Production Sound is using one (a Denecke) it is much easier to get a good IR from it.
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:49 AM

Too bad most clapperboards in Portugal are the wooden kind. I only know of ONE Denecke in existence.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigas View Post
Too bad most clapperboards in Portugal are the wooden kind. I only know of ONE Denecke in existence.
Same here. Not wooden but plastic translucent board with wooden sticks or an ambient smart-slate. Rarely denekes.