Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 08-31-2008, 02:34 AM

Default C24 vs Control 24 Please be honest!!

Hi Guys,
Someone just offered me 5K to buy my "Vintage" Control 24. I need to know from those who have upgraded what do you think. Most of the work we do is post-production but for V.O. the pre-amps on the Old C24 were fine. We also have an Avalon 737sp. But for a crispy straight narration they were great.

I want some honest opinions here. Is it really an upgrade or just a cosmetic redesign.

I'd love a D-Command ES but 25K is not in the budget.

This guy wants basically by everything in my studio including computer, I/O everything...

Thanks for your help!
Mitch
Old 08-31-2008, 09:50 AM

Arrow Re: C24 vs Control 24 Please be honest!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusoPro View Post
Hi Guys,
Someone just offered me 5K to buy my "Vintage" Control 24. I need to know from those who have upgraded what do you think. Most of the work we do is post-production but for V.O. the pre-amps on the Old C24 were fine. We also have an Avalon 737sp. But for a crispy straight narration they were great.

I want some honest opinions here. Is it really an upgrade or just a cosmetic redesign.

I'd love a D-Command ES but 25K is not in the budget.

This guy wants basically by everything in my studio including computer, I/O everything...

Thanks for your help!
Mitch
Hey Mitch!

IMHO...IF it works KEEP IT. I don't even own a new one and I've never had problems with mine. I'm not going anywhere with mine. It's the best piece for the money EVER. The new ones have many. many return problems.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:58 AM

Default Re: C24 vs Control 24 Please be honest!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Goldberg View Post
Hey Mitch!

IMHO...IF it works KEEP IT. I don't even own a new one and I've never had problems with mine. I'm not going anywhere with mine. It's the best piece for the money EVER. The new ones have many. many return problems.
Thanks Scott. Just looking at it online it looks like a bit of a toy. Especially the pots. I'm trying to go see if I check one out. There is only one in the whole country over here.

I'd also have to put out a lot for new 25 pin cables.

Thing is this guy wants to buy everything which really is a once in a lifetime chance. The reviews are mixed.

I wish I had enough $$$$ for the D-Command ES.

All the best,
Mitch
Old 09-02-2008, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musopro View Post
thanks scott. Just looking at it online it looks like a bit of a toy. Especially the pots. I'm trying to go see if i check one out. There is only one in the whole country over here.

I'd also have to put out a lot for new 25 pin cables.

Thing is this guy wants to buy everything which really is a once in a lifetime chance. The reviews are mixed.

I wish i had enough $$$$ for the d-command es.

All the best,
mitch
yeah mitch, i hear you. You migh want to wait though, i hear rhere are some really cool touch screen systems coming out soon.

As far as the cables are concerned, just for it, they are a necessary evil and i know that at lest they are decent quality,

ahhhh, thie hidden cost of cables. Always gets ya when you're not lookiing:d
Old 09-12-2008, 12:51 PM

I make my own cables. SO much cheaper and you get the quality you build. Buy good stuff to build with and you'll have fabulous cables. As long as you can solder.

I love my Control 24 (CONTROL 24.... 'vintage'.... more like abandoned. Thanx Digi)

I've seen the new one and a friend of mine in Chicago has one. I think it looks cheesy. (Then again so does the SSL Matrix but I'd take that...... well, not for $25K for 16 faders..... lame!)

Anyway. Too many probs with the new C24 from the sounds of things. My buddy is not impressed with his. I don't blame him. I think they screwed up. At least there's an external supply now, but what the crap. That one sux just as bad. Noisy, fluctuates like crazy.... dirty supply. Plus the layout doesn't look pleasing to me. I don't want to look DOWN for 8-12 hours. That hurts my neck.

Mine has been great. Had a few problems with it earlier this year, but through insurance (due to construction debris) I sent it back to Digi, got ALL new faders, new pre's, and a NEW AND IMPROVED DC WIRING HARNESS. No problems since.

( EXCEPT THEY KEPT MY OLD FADERS!!!! I WANT MY OLD ONES DIGI !!!! I'M NOT GIVING UP!! I'M STILL MAD AT YOU! THAT'S SHADY! $1500 and they wouldn't give me my old faders back............. )

I say it's a great machine. Just make sure you have a solid one, if you do it's worth more than what they sell for. If it's not a solid one, it aint worth crap.................. Really expensive paper weight.

Of course personal opinion always counts. Go play with one.

Mac Pro 5,1 3.33 GHz Hex, 32GB
EFI Flashed - 5 GT/s Modded 7950, Dual Apple 23"
OSX Sierra
Pro Tools HD 11.2.2
Waves IOS, IOX, STG2412
Extreme Server (x2)
Logic Pro X, DSP Quattro, Final Cut Pro X
Waves Mercury+SSL+AbbeyRoads
Trident S65 with embedded US-2400

Live:
2012 Mac Mini, Dual SSD, i7 2.4, 16GB
Win 10, OSX Sierra
LV1, MRSG
Hardware from above (same gear)
Dual Dell P2418HT Touch Screens
Waves Icon X (x2), M, with Screens
Custom enclosure
Old 09-12-2008, 02:05 PM

One plus on the new one the PSU is external incase it fails no more flipping the unit upside down. "yay"?

I use the new C24 and haven't had an issues, there's a lot of bad press on it and people complaining about noise issues, but most have panned out to be user error and digi posted a couple C24 noise troubleshooting webpages to walk people through common mistakes when hooking up their units to avoid noise issues.

My biggest complaint is the IO routing is setup for surround, which is pretty minor. I leave the board on 24/7 and it has been rock solid, but does raise my electric bill quite a bit!
They sell the C24 Snake kit, I passed on that and instead only purchased the exact Dsub cables I needed.

I use the submixer section often and the monitor section is pretty slick.
You're going to loose minor things like function keys, numerical keyboard, f6-f10, show buttons, channel bar display, but moving from Control 24 to C24 was easy. It feels the same but better to me, if you can get past the look differences. The LCDs are much better on C24.

And the faders being split up in banks is a huge plus, as minor as it sounds it's way faster than looking at a huge mass of faders.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:45 PM

Hey Premo,

Just curious, what have you noticed that is really missing on the new board compared to our old ones? I am really happy with my control 24! No need for me to look at anything but an ICON and that's in my dreams for a 24-32 fader console.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premo View Post

I use the submixer section often...
What do you use the submixer section for? For me, I can't really think of a great use for it, but maybe I'm missing something!

Thanks,
Marc
Old 09-17-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Frigo View Post
What do you use the submixer section for? For me, I can't really think of a great use for it, but maybe I'm missing something!

Thanks,
Marc
Oh my gosh. I use it like crazy!

(Well, I should say I used to use it like crazy, andthough I still do, now it would be better if it were a 16 or 24 channel submixer as I have expanded things a bit)

I have a bunch of outboard sound modules and I run some into the pre's, interfaces, and others into the submixer and then into the interface. Depends on the session and how many outs I'm using for production off the modules, and what sound I want and whatever. If I'm doing all/mostly stereo out I run over the 8 quickly.

Here's how I use it though, in general.

I produce my music on the MPC4000 from drum kit sounds/samples, live instrumentation sampled into it at 24/96, and midi controling outboard modules like my Motif Rack, Fantom X6, Mo Phatt, Proteus 2000, XP-50, MPC2000XL, Etc.

I run outs, wether Mono or Stereo through (Just) the submixer (let's say). Then out of that to a pair of ins, whether back through the control 24, or into the interfaces, or through dynamics such as compression, pre, gate, eq, verb, whatever. Then I sync with PT via Midi with my MPC4000 and solo each track composed on it and record 16 bars. I do this with each track individually on seperate tracks in PT. Only takes about 5-15 minutes depending on tempo and track count. It's nice to have that submixer there for level without eating up lines or pre's or multiple channels on the interface. 8=2 channels. I dump them all seperately anyway.

It just saves a lot of patching and whatnot.

Kinda slick.

I've been trying to think of a beneficial way to encorporate it into other things as well but nothing really rings a bell. I do think I'll patch it one of these days though.

Mac Pro 5,1 3.33 GHz Hex, 32GB
EFI Flashed - 5 GT/s Modded 7950, Dual Apple 23"
OSX Sierra
Pro Tools HD 11.2.2
Waves IOS, IOX, STG2412
Extreme Server (x2)
Logic Pro X, DSP Quattro, Final Cut Pro X
Waves Mercury+SSL+AbbeyRoads
Trident S65 with embedded US-2400

Live:
2012 Mac Mini, Dual SSD, i7 2.4, 16GB
Win 10, OSX Sierra
LV1, MRSG
Hardware from above (same gear)
Dual Dell P2418HT Touch Screens
Waves Icon X (x2), M, with Screens
Custom enclosure
Old 09-17-2008, 01:40 PM

Okay - well that makes a lot of sense, and I suspected that it would be good for folks using a lot of outboard keys, sound modules, etc. I don't have any of that stuff. I'm really not much of a composer, but more of a mixer, and of course I cut tracks, too, but about half of the full band projects I work on are just mixing tracks that someone else cut.

Thanks for the detailed explanation!

-Marc