How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2014, 11:10 PM

Default Considering taking the plunge but have concerns

Hi,

I am looking at getting an Eleven Rack for both live and home studio use. I like the overall sounds of the Eleven Rack, but I feel they are missing a few key sounds and features. I wanted to know how active Avid is with the product and how often they come out with updates, patches, or new bundles.

1. Software updates: How often does Avid release a new version of the software with the goal of resolving common issues or bugs?

2. Bundles/Expansions: I only see one bundle pack. Has Avid come out with more or do they have plans to release more?

Key missing features/effects:

1. Delay/Reverb spillover. Does the delay continue while/after I change the patch? Especially if I'm changing to a new patch with delay and reverb.

2. Whammy: Is this something I can recreate or does Avid have an upgrade?

3. Looping: Does the 11R handle loops at all?
Old 09-16-2014, 06:53 AM

Default Re: Considering taking the plunge but have concerns

My best advice to you would be to buy an Eleven Rack based on what it does today and not what it might do in the future.

There haven't been any updates to the 11R firmware in quite a long time. Avid does not release product roadmaps, so it's difficult to tell if there will be another update / expansion pack in the future.

Quote:
1. Delay/Reverb spillover. Does the delay continue while/after I change the patch? Especially if I'm changing to a new patch with delay and reverb.
No, the delays do not spill over when changing patches.

Quote:
There is no Whammy or pitch shift effect in the 11R. It does have an FX loop, so you could always patch one in if needed.

Quote:
There is no built in looper in the 11R. Again, you could patch one into the FX loop if needed.

System Details
Old 09-19-2014, 11:12 AM

What Eleven Rack does best is amp simulation (plus cab/mic). Based on that it will be good for many years to come as the amp models are really top notch and covering a lot of the amp market (Fender, Vox, Marshall, Mesa, Soldano, Bogner and Matchless).

Does it stop for buying a real amp because it doesn't come with effects, looper and so on? I don't think so. Same with 11R, but it comes with a relative good set of basic pedals plus a parametric eq. If you want more esoteric pedals simply buy them (as you would do with a real amp), thinking account that 11R has more patching options than a real amp. And as a bonus you have presets.

Last thing, IMO 11R has the most intuitive user interface in the market. The knobs are like on a real amp/pedals, really easy to adjust. I only use the editor on my computer to download/backup patches.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpp View Post
Hi,
1. Software updates: How often does Avid release a new version of the software with the goal of resolving common issues or bugs?

2. Bundles/Expansions: I only see one bundle pack. Has Avid come out with more or do they have plans to release more?

I think the guys have answered you according to the truth of the situation.

To address the main questions you have

1. I don't know any box that does that....at least anybox under $1500.
2. That would be crazy cool, and i think they should try to code that into the next update (if there is one)
3. again I don't think there are any boxes under $1500 that do that (guitar effects boxes that is)

They may drop it tomorrow and I will still have gotten my money's worth. I still have the Behringer Vamp Pro (and use it 3x a week).

Don't expect any more from them and you will be happy with the box. It's a winner for sure.....
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.

Last edited by YYR123; 09-19-2014 at 03:17 PM. Reason: orangeboxblues
Old 10-01-2014, 11:28 AM

Just to update the thread...I'm waiting on my Eleven Rack right now. It should be here before the end of the day.