Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools 2019

Old 01-23-2020, 12:08 PM

Default Pro Tools has become a nightmare (Windows)

I really don't know what Mac users' experience currently is but on my Windows system, this DAW has become a nightmare.

There are a lot of random bugs, sometimes the playback won't work anymore and the worst bug I've had so far is when PT says it doesn't have enough CPU power to run (asks me to deactivate plugins) while the CPU meter in PT is peggin at 100% and my taskmanager is only reporting 2-3%. After closing and reopening Pro Tools it is gone.

I'm really wondering where all the great improvements have gone to because if the DAW keeps working like this, I'll have to consider something like Studio One or Cubase.

What still baffles me to this day is that many many changes you do within the DAW while editing a session are irreversible, like there is no editing history of it. In most other daws, you can reverse every change you've done.

I just lose a lot of time on bugs and issues the DAW creates and nobody is paying me for that while I have to invest so much money every year on Ultimate to just get some small feature updates while so many things are left unattended. I feel like I'm wasting my money here and time increasingly.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools has become a nightmare (Windows)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticmike View Post
I really don't know what Mac users' experience currently is but on my Windows system, this DAW has become a nightmare.
Not having any of the issues you're describing on my Mac system. If you'd like some assistance, start here: Help Us Help You and provide as much info about your system and problems as possible.

Chris
Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P / i7 6700K 4.1 GHz / 32GB Crucial DDR4
macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.6
Pro Tools HD 2019.12
Old 01-23-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:

There are a lot of random bugs, sometimes the playback won't work anymore and the worst bug I've had so far is when PT says it doesn't have enough CPU power to run (asks me to deactivate plugins) while the CPU meter in PT is peggin at 100% and my taskmanager is only reporting 2-3%. After closing and reopening Pro Tools it is gone.

I'm really wondering where all the great improvements have gone to because if the DAW keeps working like this, I'll have to consider something like Studio One or Cubase.

What still baffles me to this day is that many many changes you do within the DAW while editing a session are irreversible, like there is no editing history of it. In most other daws, you can reverse every change you've done.

I just lose a lot of time on bugs and issues the DAW creates and nobody is paying me for that while I have to invest so much money every year on Ultimate to just get some small feature updates while so many things are left unattended. I feel like I'm wasting my money here and time increasingly.
I've seen some weird stuff in this latest version on Windows 10. Drag and dropping a copy of a plugin to another track locks up the interface. Interface becomes non responsive. They did get rid of the reboot problem but introduced some new problems it seems. Had not seen any of this prior and the last version, except for the reboot problem, was stable during operation. All of this on a very powerful Intel based desktop machine with i9 CPU with 10 cores. Same machine which was stable on the last rev, suddenly lock up with problems and also getting the CPU "not enough processing" error. Are you kidding me? 32GB of RAM as well. Pretty disappointed in Avid right now.
Old 01-23-2020, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philgrab View Post
I've seen some weird stuff in this latest version on Windows 10. Drag and dropping a copy of a plugin to another track locks up the interface. Interface becomes non responsive. They did get rid of the reboot problem but introduced some new problems it seems. Had not seen any of this prior and the last version, except for the reboot problem, was stable during operation. All of this on a very powerful Intel based desktop machine with i9 CPU with 10 cores. Same machine which was stable on the last rev, suddenly lock up with problems and also getting the CPU "not enough processing" error. Are you kidding me? 32GB of RAM as well. Pretty disappointed in Avid right now.
I used Pro Tools for several years on Windows until I switched to Mac a few years ago and I have to say, in my experience it's definitely more solid on Mac. Not to say there aren't any problems, but I don't see as many crashes on Mac.

Chris
Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P / i7 6700K 4.1 GHz / 32GB Crucial DDR4
macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.6
Pro Tools HD 2019.12
Old 01-24-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:

3 things come to mind:
1-you have given essentially zero information on your setup, what you have tried and what's really wrong.
2-maybe Pro Tools isn't the right tool for you
3-I use PT on Windows 10 and rarely have any issues at all

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave

Last edited by albee1952; 01-25-2020 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:19 AM

Standard stuff, W10 on a 9900K running with Lynx Auroras

Gesendet von meinem SM-G965F mit Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
...I use PT on Windows 10 and rarely have any issues at all
Same here.

Make sure to:
Update all plugs & device drivers to latest versions.
Turn off all unnecessary Windows junk in settings.
Uninstall bloatware.
Disable all Win 10 unnecessary startup items.
All AVID optimizations.
Info/Services link
Old 01-24-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
3-I use PT on Windows 10 and rarely have any issues at all
I have to say the same. No issues and running fine here. My system is super stable.

tg
Old 01-24-2020, 10:52 AM

Hi on windows the thing is a little more "tricky" comparing to mac os but once is optimized there is no advantage one over the other imo, apart from self convinience adn personal liking. You might want to start by double check your Bios settings, Os optimizations, drivers up to date and that all plugins are compatible or up to date. Have the 2 OS here and each of them working perfect.

Keep the volume UP !
Old 01-24-2020, 11:36 AM

Not my case at all! it runs smoothly on a humble i5 6600k (large sessions for big bands)
The only bug you mention that I get (once a month) is the "no playback" thing.