Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-14-2004, 11:37 AM

Default OT: Soft Synths 2004

Can anyone recommend a good softsynth that produces modern synth sounds along the lines of the Yamaha Motif? Something w/ excellent strings, pianos, etc. I don't like Reason (cluttered GUI and having various modules). And I think Sampletank 2 REALLY stinks.

I have the Korg Legacy Collection (which is amazing for analog synth stuff, but not for 'bread and butter' or modern Motif-like sounds. I've never used Halion or Kontact. I have a separate mac to run these (bussed to PT as an aux) so I am not even concerned about RTAS support. Thanks for any recommendations!
Old 10-14-2004, 02:30 PM

Default Re: OT: Soft Synths 2004

how about NI´s Reaktor/Session
The Oscillators of Version 4 are a real step forward.

NI Absynth? great flexibility.

a Virsyn Tera is also up to date.
AAS´s Tassmann is good at Strings.

but nothing compared to a Clavia Nordlead 3 or Modular.

regs

ps:just to be sophistic Sampletank is NOT a Synth it´s a Sampleplayer
Old 10-14-2004, 02:49 PM

While I love just about everything NI does, I'm afraid Reaktor and Absynth are not the answer if you're looking for "rompler-style bread+butter" sounds. You could look into Kontakt which will basically spit out what you throw at it. In other words, get some samples, either on the net, or buy some great libraries and you'll be set. Another thing to consider about a sample player like Kontakt is that you won't outgrow it as quickly as other things, since you can load just about anything into it.

Quote:
I don't like Reason (cluttered GUI and having various modules).
That's really a shame, to be honest. The selection of Refills available now is amazing, and the quality has improved exponentially since they first popped up on the market. If you're referring to only the Factory Sound Bank disc that came with Reason, then yes, I can see you're underwhelmed. You need to dig deeper and see where the good sounds and libraries are. Reason is not that 'narrow', I can't think of a more flexible program, and it can sound absolutely killer if you know what you're doing.

Sampletank....well yeah, I have to agree. Never liked it.

All that said, you might be better off with a used Roland or Motif rack. I just got a used Roland XV-5050 for $400 and believe me, it would take a long time - and cost a fortune - to get the equivalent in software. Being a huge soft-synth/electronica/idm/glitch fan, I still think having just one of these modules is almost a necessity, especially for commercial productions, which is what my job is.
Old 10-15-2004, 09:10 AM

Hi,

I was already wondering why one would like to have synthetic strings and pianos because you explicitly asked for SYNTHS.

so

for sample based apps check the modules at www.plugsound.com or

products from east west on http://www.soundsonline.com/

regs
Old 10-15-2004, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Hi,

I was already wondering why one would like to have synthetic strings and pianos because you explicitly asked for SYNTHS.
It seemed pretty clear to me that he was asking about software versions of general rom-based synths (Fantom, Triton, Motif, etc. - which are essentially synths). Looks to me like he explicitly asked for non-VA synth (Virus, MS2000, NordLead, or any of the soft synths that produce 'those' kind of more electronic/synth sounds), as he made it clear he already had the Korg Legacy Collection.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:42 PM

Thanks for all the responses. Btw, I was using the term "synth" in a _general_ sense. I suppose I should have titled the post, "Soft Romplers 2004", because that's what I'm looking for (already own a Nord and Super-Novation). I need some modern "bread & butter", "Giga Studio" type sounds. I've used Reason (even a lot of the 3rd party REfills) and am still underwhelmed. For example, the, "Electro Mechanic Refill (touted as having great EPs, etc.) sounds no where near as good as the Motif.

I will take Mindnoise's advice and check the E/W Sounds Online, or perhaps save up for a used Motif Rack.