Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 12-10-2019, 07:58 AM

Default Re: Was looking at finally buying HEAT..really?

Just my 2 cents on this;
1-If you have Heat, but worry about not committing Instrument tracks till mix-time, I think you are over-estimating what Heat will do to the sound.
2-If the track/mix isn't "happening", then Heat is not going to "fix" it.
3-There are lots of similar options for "that" sound. Waves NLS, J37, Slate VCC and/or VTM, etc
4-I have Heat but seem to never actually use it(old habits....). I do use Slate VTM on drums and bass, but it never makes or breaks a mix

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-10-2019, 11:54 AM

^^^ How true this is. ^^^

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 12-10-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bond View Post
To be fair, I never normally commit VIs until the mix or indeed archiving if possible. You never know when a singer wants to try a different key or you need to add some more of an existing keyboard part to the arrangement etc.

If Heat is for audio tracks only it certainly is limiting. One can add any number of Heat type plugins to any track and indeed, use pretty much all of them in other DAWs.

Heat sounds great from what I have heard but this is yet another not to buy. Even at the current £202.80 (inc. VAT) offer from Avid, it is still far too expensive, especially considering it is limited to Pro Tools use only. I think long and hard these days about any PT or AAX only plugins given the current rising costs of Pro Tools.

Stephen
This.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Just my 2 cents on this;
1-If you have Heat, but worry about not committing Instrument tracks till mix-time, I think you are over-estimating what Heat will do to the sound.
2-If the track/mix isn't "happening", then Heat is not going to "fix" it.
3-There are lots of similar options for "that" sound. Waves NLS, J37, Slate VCC and/or VTM, etc
4-I have Heat but seem to never actually use it(old habits....). I do use Slate VTM on drums and bass, but it never makes or breaks a mix
No, the whole point of wanting it for instruments IS to mix into it in real time.. I don't over estimate what any of these plugins do, in fact I can't stand any of them, except for a VCC (to a degree),and hate all the other ones you mentioned. The reason I am interested in Heat is because it's Dave Hill, and after using his plugin demos they were the first ones I liked of that type of plugin.. but they are too expensive. I lament the fact i did not get them from sweetwater in 2017 when they were selling them for 149 EA.
Secondly, I like the integrated nature of Heat.. I like this way of working.

I never bounce my VI's or even my external synths to audio, this is why I have an analog mixer and effects modules, as well as 4 apollo 8's.. I like to work in the midi domain unless I absolutely must commit to Audio.. This is why things like DAW VI performance are so crucial to me. I know it's weird choosing PT for midi, but I love having midi inline on the track which few DAWs do and I actually really like it's midi.. Plus, PT can add delays to the sample on each midi port to get all external gear in the tightest time possible.. Most of the others are using ticks.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:25 PM

Oh well, I couldn't control myself.. I really love the way it sounds...

I just figured, I will start drag and drop midi to audio as I go along and work in the audio domain on songs I want to use HEAT on.

I'll keep the midi tracks deactivated and can go back to them any time..

Good enough solution and will also solve my performance issues in the meantime.

Sweetwater didn't ask for the AU tax which was great, so i paid 199 instead of 220 directly.

Going to play now
Old 12-11-2019, 12:04 AM

Wow I can not believe this.. just.. wow...

the cpu usage is stupid and this project only has 12 audio tracks so far...

and you can't adjust the intensity PER channel.. WTF? Global setting?

wow..

I can not believe I just spent 300 AUD.. I am depressed now and need to sulk.

I'll try it tomorrow on a new mix and see how it sounds.

They offer bypass on individual channels but not drive? Why oh why avid.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:29 AM

Trying it on a mix the only way to audition it. I bought it when it first came out and have used it on every mix in the years since. Its lack of per-track controls is by design. If I want to affect a particular track with more harmonic content than I hear through Heat on the mixbus I have other options. You can also raise the clip gain of a particular track to get it to drive Heat harder. It's akin to a summing amplifier in that with identical settings sparse mixes don't exhibit the same degree of coloration as dense mixes. I think of it a 2 bus on an analog console and in that respect it is more powerful than any one console or any one summing mixer. Once you understand what it's trying to do you'll see it's doing it beautifully. It's the only plugin I use that goes on literally every single mix.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eganmedia View Post
Trying it on a mix the only way to audition it. I bought it when it first came out and have used it on every mix in the years since. Its lack of per-track controls is by design. If I want to affect a particular track with more harmonic content than I hear through Heat on the mixbus I have other options. You can also raise the clip gain of a particular track to get it to drive Heat harder. It's akin to a summing amplifier in that with identical settings sparse mixes don't exhibit the same degree of coloration as dense mixes. I think of it a 2 bus on an analog console and in that respect it is more powerful than any one console or any one summing mixer. Once you understand what it's trying to do you'll see it's doing it beautifully. It's the only plugin I use that goes on literally every single mix.
Thanks for the positive words and i'll keep an open mind and try it out thoroughly the next few weeks.

What I find interesting is that it uses more cpu the lower the core audio buffer size is.. in fact at 32 buffer just activating caused 50% spikes and stopped playback. The reason I say it's interesting is because none of these audio tracks are record armed, which means that PT should have them all on it's 1024 sample playback buffer.. yet.. when i put the buffer to 128, suddenly heat had acceptable cpu.

It's sounds pretty awful when driven hard, and is not unlike other plugins of this kind really, in the way it sounds (VTM for example).. Is it doing anything at default centre settings when simply turned on? That will be a good listening test for me tomorrow.
Old 12-19-2019, 12:37 PM

Hi all,

Every time I see a "Heat is only available on Audio Tracks" frowny face thread, I keep meaning to jump in with my partial solution.

When I say partial, not on Busses or anything like that. See this thread I wrote on today:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=407631&page=2

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers.

Steve
Old 12-19-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushpig View Post
Hi all,

Every time I see a "Heat is only available on Audio Tracks" frowny face thread, I keep meaning to jump in with my partial solution.

When I say partial, not on Busses or anything like that. See this thread I wrote on today:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=407631&page=2

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers.

Steve
Thank you (I refuse to call you the P word)
I will check into that right this second! Cheers