Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2014, 04:52 PM

Default Sc 48 outputs popping

Hello everyone!! I am new to the forum but am having an issue and was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Just recently purchased an sc48. I have it setup in my shop and have been programming it for a show, and without warning all the outputs will generate a popping noise and all output meters will clip. I thought perhaps it was a clocking issue but it is not connected to any external gear. Only an ipod and a set of studio monitors are connected. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
brad
Old 09-01-2014, 06:11 PM

Default Re: Sc 48 outputs popping

Do you have it in config (configuration) mode and not show mode? There are things that you can do in config mode that will interrupt the audio and do what you are describing. It’s the same as if you were live patching and connecting an analog console. That will make noise (and you will hear it) if you do it while trying to feed the output to speakers.

When you are setting up in config mode it is a good idea to not be feeding the outputs out into the real world. That is for show mode. I don’t know if this is the cause of the problems that you are experiencing but if it is I hope I was of some help.

Config mode to set it up and Show mode to use it.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:15 PM

I appreciate the info but I did think of that. Unforuptunately it did not change. It is very intermittent and it blows the outputs away when it happens. Thanks for the reply though.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aabrad View Post
I appreciate the info but I did think of that. Unforuptunately it did not change. It is very intermittent and it blows the outputs away when it happens. Thanks for the reply though.
Are you setting up events in the process of this? I vaguely remember having a problem when I set up some REALLY weird events. I think I created a loop and had them calling each other.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:25 PM

Not setting up any events.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Not setting up any events.
Do you have the iPod resting on top of the console anywhere? I had a weird problem the other day when I had my smart phone playing back some music while resting on top of the console. I was listening on headphones and it took me a few minutes to realize why it sounded weird. The noise when away when I moved it off of the console. It was an analog console.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:38 PM

Nope
Old 09-01-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Nope

I have to assume that you have ruled out bad cable or connection at the iPod. I have been having a lot of bad 3.5mm to ¼”cables lately. Where are you plugging in the iPod?

How are you getting into the studio monitors? Are they powered and you are plugging in directly to them or are you going thru some other device. If thru another device does it have phantom power on the inputs that is turned on?

I am grasping at straws here.

I hooked up a CD player once spidif out to the AES digital inputs and had some really bad pops. The short version of the story was it turned out to be a bad CD.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:53 PM

Ruled out all of that it is the weirdest thing. Could clocking be the issue?
Old 09-01-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Ruled out all of that it is the weirdest thing. Could clocking be the issue?

I am sorry I am out of ideas. Sounds like its time for a call to Avid support.

If you can please come back and let us know what you find to be the cause or cure of the problem.