Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2007, 01:54 AM

Default Re: \"hanging\" applications when mbox 2 plugged in

I hate to sound smug, because I'm a complete computer clutz (especially with Macs), but I've just put the following rig together:

iBook G4 - >1Ghz; 1.256 Gb RAM; 80gb HD 5400rpm
Mac OSX.4 ( not the latest upgrade)
PTLE 7.3
Mbox 2 + Factory Bundle + Ignition Pack Pro (dealer error!)

As I say, I'm not comfortable with all the tech stuff, so I religiously followed the Basics and Getting Started handbooks - disabled everything like Spotlight, Dashboard, whatever. I don't use the iBook for anything other than PTLE and I only ever connect it to the Internet for music-related downloads and upgrades, e.g. from 7 to 7.3.

I have had no performance problems, such as those described here. I know I'm tempting fate and something terrible will happen today, but...so far, so good.

I am going to get a Firewire drive and an adaptor for a dual-monitor display setup, so I'm sure to be back here, screaming for help, very soon!
Roland RD300s electric piano
Toontracks dfh EZ drummer
Old 04-17-2007, 03:29 PM
Avid

We've spoken with some Apple engineers about this and they have some other reports of similar issues with other devices and will be looking into the cause. They don't have any specific info on the cause, but did tell us that a few people resolved the issue by using a powered USB hub. Obviously this isn't really a good option for Mbox users, as hubs can be rather finicky with audio devices.

We'll keep you posted with any new info we have regarding this.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:47 PM

is there any method to solve this hanging problem without reboot?

i think Apple would not release any update for this problem...
Old 06-05-2007, 06:43 PM

Quote:
We've spoken with some Apple engineers about this and they have some other reports of similar issues with other devices and will be looking into the cause. They don't have any specific info on the cause, but did tell us that a few people resolved the issue by using a powered USB hub. Obviously this isn't really a good option for Mbox users, as hubs can be rather finicky with audio devices.

We'll keep you posted with any new info we have regarding this.
you find a solution yet??
Old 06-06-2007, 01:55 AM

I've experienced this same problem...
I also experience dropouts in audio, static, and other noises randomly. I'll leave iTunes playing music, and it will be fine for a while and then the above problems occur...seemingly at random times.

The biggest problem I'm having is when I first plug in the Mbox Mini, it will often freeze my whole system. If I unplug the Mini from the computer, *usually* the system will unfreeze and function normally...but not always.

It has been getting much more frequent lately to the point that I started searching here for answers.

/james

Powerbook 1.67
Mbox2 Mini
Old 06-06-2007, 10:03 AM

still happening to me also

patiently (but anxiously) waiting for a fix - I hate having to crash my nice new Mac Pro! (at least once or twice a week)
Apogee Rosetta 200/ UA LA-610
Genelec 8030A/7050b
McDSP, Waves, Sony, URS, Spectrasonics, BFD, Altiverb
Old 06-07-2007, 02:22 PM

got this May 29 from digidesign (tech support, euro)

Regarding this issue our engineering team have developed a fix for the issue and will hopefully be included in a future release of Pro Tools. Unfortunately, I do not have any information of if or when a version will be released that included this fix.

So, there you have it. he he. Would be nice with an update really really soon. All of you with the same issue. Please send emails to the tech support so they put some prio on this issue.

I guess they prioritize the "pro-range" products, not the "LE"/mbox ones....
Old 10-22-2007, 01:05 PM

Was this issue ever resolved? I'm having this problem with my MacBook and an Mbox mini. I have the latest version of protools/drivers etc.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:18 AM

I also have this problem with my Mbox 2 and Macbook Pro 2.4ghz

It's very irritating to have to hard boot my machine every time apps start to hang. I am fed up with the Mbox 2 - would getting the firewire version solve the problem?
Old 10-23-2007, 07:46 AM

still same here. MacPro, latest Firmware patchet, latest digidriver, latest os x.

same random freezes........ I guess it's time to abandon the mbox (digidesign) suite.

really weird thought that they are completely uninterested in fixing this. I mean, It's a serious bug