Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2005, 05:13 PM

Default 2 LE\'s 1 playback 1 record?

Hi all, first time poster, my recording studio is attracting alot of overdub work from clients who have tracked on TDM systems. Can i sync 2 LE systems, 1 playing back previously recorded material while recording on another? 2 computers, 2 LE systems synced (Midi?) to give me 64 tracks and shared CPU usage.
Thank's for any help
Old 04-29-2005, 10:51 AM
Avid

Default Re: 2 LE\'s 1 playback 1 record?

No, you cannot. Only 1 Pro Tools hardware interface can be used on a single computer.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:04 AM

Dig'Tech, he said two computers. Please read these post a little more carefully to privide complete answers. (Just had to do that )

I think Rail may have posted a few solutions to this, maybe Chris Cavell too. Do a more careful search and you might just find something.

You can certainly do this 'unlinked'. Just network the files later and import the new session tracks and nudge them in place. You are limited to that 32 track LE brick wall, however, no matter what you do. Submixing is the only real answer to this one within LE.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:06 AM

I think what he means is having two separate digi boxes, with two separate machines, each running one digi box.

I had my PC set up that way until I bought a mac. If you can get the two machines to follow a beat clock I don't see why not. I use PT mainly for mixdowns now, as I record to a roland vs and do an export then import into PT for final mixes. I love PT I'm just real impatient when it comes to recording, when I say do start or stop thats what I want. (to clear what I mean have to use a midi device to trigger PT and every now and again it acts up, the communication with my external mixer) Sorry to of gottin off topic.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:34 PM

Thankyou Ducky, I did mean 2 complete and sperate systems, sorry for the confusion Digi. I will search futher for what I hope is a positive solution
Old 04-29-2005, 02:58 PM

This is absolutely possible.

You will need two things to make the two systems play back in sync:

1. Positional reference. For this, use MTC

2. A common time base. To achieve this, connect the s/pdif out of the "master" PT rig to the s/pdif input of the "slave" and set the "slave" to sync to s/pdif.

To have the "slave" chase the master PT rig, connect midi out on the master to midi in on the slave.
Then set the slave to read incoming MTC and the master to generate MTC.

Now, if you put the slave transport online and initiate playback on the master, the slave will chase.

All the best

Espen
Old 04-29-2005, 03:05 PM

Many thanks Espron