Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 10-17-2012, 06:00 PM

Default Unable to locate hardware when starting pro tools 9.0 MP

I have a oxygen 25 midi controller for my windows 7 pc 64 bit and a copy of pro tools 9.0 MP. I go to start the program. and it says unable to locate hardware click okay when ready. Am i missing something?
Old 10-17-2012, 06:32 PM

Default Re: Unable to locate hardware when starting pro tools 9.0 MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioMan1060 View Post
I have a oxygen 25 midi controller for my windows 7 pc 64 bit and a copy of pro tools 9.0 MP. I go to start the program. and it says unable to locate hardware click okay when ready. Am i missing something?
Do you have a piece of M-Audio hardware other than the Oxygen 25? Specifically... one that outputs audio?

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 10-17-2012, 08:13 PM

No I do not what would be a good one?
Old 10-17-2012, 10:20 PM

Default Unable to locate hardware when starting pro tools 9.0 MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioMan1060 View Post
No I do not what would be a good one?

Any version of Pro Tools M-Powered requires a compatible M-Audio interface.

Most of them are pretty good, but which one you ultimately need is up to you. They range from inexpensive single input devices, to full featured 26I/O interfaces with DSP mixers, as well as a synth that works as an output device. I suggest going to the m-audio website to see what your options are.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 10-26-2012, 11:03 AM

I bought Pro Tools 9 last March. Now all of a sudden my USB dosn't recognize my iLok. I get a message telling me to insert the iLok but I never removed it. Any ideas? Some one please help!!
Old 11-24-2012, 10:19 AM

Hello,
If I understand correctly:
-Pro Tools are able to run without any M-Audio interface
-Pro Tools M-Powered are UNABLE to run without any M-Audio interface.

If this is correct, then I'm not very happy about this difference.
I use ProTools M-Powered and I find it very powerful, but if I understand the need to have a device to record, I don't understand why it would be mandatory to have this device to mix. And I supposed it was the goal of this iLok: have a hardware security to this ProTools, but without requiring the whole hardware with it to be launched.

Sometimes, I'd like also to open ProTools with my iLok plugged, just to export what I already recorded and mixed...

Can you confirm me this, please ? And maybe give me some solutions to work in this way ?

Thanks a lot for your answers,
Cheers,
Alexandre
Old 11-24-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkalibur View Post
Hello,
If I understand correctly:
-Pro Tools are able to run without any M-Audio interface
-Pro Tools M-Powered are UNABLE to run without any M-Audio interface.

If this is correct, then I'm not very happy about this difference.
I use ProTools M-Powered and I find it very powerful, but if I understand the need to have a device to record, I don't understand why it would be mandatory to have this device to mix. And I supposed it was the goal of this iLok: have a hardware security to this ProTools, but without requiring the whole hardware with it to be launched.

Sometimes, I'd like also to open ProTools with my iLok plugged, just to export what I already recorded and mixed...

Can you confirm me this, please ? And maybe give me some solutions to work in this way ?

Thanks a lot for your answers,
Cheers,
Alexandre
Lets get rid of the double negatives

Pro Tools 9/10 requires an iLok and can use the computers CoreAudio or ASIO internal interface (or an extenal interface).

Pro Tools 9 MP also requires an iLok and is a price reduced/feature limited version that only works with an M-Audio branded interface. All this should be clear if you read the product info http://www.avid.com/us/products/protoolsmp or the documentation that came with it.

It's just marketing. If you want the greater features of Pro Tools (or Pro Tools HD) you pay for them. You can upgrade from Pro Tools MP 9 to Pro Tools 10 at some discount if you want those features. http://shop.avid.com/store/product.d...07527273741024

Pro Tools MP seems stuck on version 9 and its not clear what is happening there or if Avid is going to really support this product or not moving forward, they are exiting a lot of their other consumer business, you are probalby better off for many reasons with Pro Tools 10.

Darryl
Old 12-09-2012, 06:16 PM

Darryl, does the message "unable to locate hardware" refers to the ilok or the mbox interface? I've recently purchased the mbox3 and pro tools v9, installed the software and cannot get past the above message. Gerald Jones
Old 12-09-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Jones View Post
Darryl, does the message "unable to locate hardware" refers to the ilok or the mbox interface? I've recently purchased the mbox3 and pro tools v9, installed the software and cannot get past the above message. Gerald Jones
It refers to the Pro Tools interface, you should get a Pop-up dialog with an authorize button if it was an iLok issue.

What playback engine are you tryign to use? If you hold down 'N' while Pro Tools is starting what playback engine choices do you see?

If that does not work, make sure you have installed the right/latest drive, uninstall and install again.

Does the interface work on another PC (or Mac)? Try different cables. Do all the trouble shooting steps listed under the "Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!" link above on this web page. In fact, read all that and start a new thread if you still have problems, your issues likely have nothing to do with this thread.

Darryl
Old 12-09-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Jones View Post
That message SHOULD be referring to the Mbox(or whatever interface). Did you install the driver for the Mbox(since PT9, its a separate install). As an alternative, you might try using ASIO4ALL, which is a free "universal" ASIO driver. Hold the N key while you open Pro Tools and try to select the Mbox as the audio engine(if you open PT without the Mbox connected, it may just be confused).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave