Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 06-12-2019, 12:16 PM

Default "Select All" freezes Pro Tools after Audio is Chopped in Beat Detective

Hello all!

PC Specs and Interface set up are in my signature!

I recently switched from Logic on Mac to Pro Tools 19.5 on windows. The other day I was assisting at a studio and brought my laptop so that I could run beat detective on drum stems while the engineer proceeded with other parts of the session. When he was demonstrating his work flow on my PC, we noticed something strange:

The simple "select all" function froze for about 20-30 seconds before clearing when selecting all the drum stems after they were chopped. It isn't a beat detective operation that is taking long, just selecting the clips to be edited.

Now on one hand, it's roughly 4000 clips so I understand, but on the other, when he tried on his 2010 MacBook Pro he had no issue. My computer has significantly better specs (specs in signature) so I was surprised to see this. I can also see that neither my RAM or CPU are getting even close to full on both my windows system meters and my pro tools meters.

I have been back and forth with Avid customer service and tried the following and more:

-Updated every (and I mean every) driver on my PC
-Tested using my Apollo thunderbolt 3 interface, also tested with Asio4all
-Followed windows optimization guide to the T
-Uninstalled/ Reinstalled Pro Tools
-Disabled all plug ins
-Trashed preferences
-increased my disc cache size
-Tried with projects/ audio files stored on my PCie SSD, and then moved them and tried with them on my internal SSHD in a second bay
-Disabled antivirus entirely
-Clean boot of the system (no background processes besides OS essentials)
-shut off turbo boost/ hyperthreading in BIOS

None of this has made any difference for the issue described, however all of the other functions in Pro Tools seem to work fine, no other issues. My hard drives are virtually empty cause my set up is brand new, so I doubt its a fragmentation issue. On top of this, somewhere along the way my computer got hosed and stuck in a "reboot and repair" loop, so I ended up factory restoring my computer (which i had planned on doing as a last resort anyway, will reinstall PT tonight and see if it made a difference).

The last thing Pro Tools responded with was that my "system is not tested by Pro Tools" and its been about 5 days since I have gotten a reply despite now multiple follow ups.

At this point I am simply looking for confirmation of whether or not it's my systems fault, or just an unresolved bug that other users have experienced. I have found multiple other forum posts of users expressing similar issues as far back as 2011 and up to 2018 on both Mac and PC, but none of those threads are resolved.

(http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t...at%20detective

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=377290&page=2)

I can work around the issue if worst comes to worst, I would just like to get my system running to its best potential, and if not, at least understand why it isn't. For example, if some computer architectures just don't gel as well as others, or if gaming laptops have some weird extra functionality that gunks things up.

Given that I have tried so many suggestions and nothing has made a difference I am thinking it may not be my systems fault.

Has anybody experienced something this puzzling? Did you find a solution or do you just live with the bug?

Sorry for the long winded post, and thanks in advance for your replies!
Keith

Alienware m15 (Nov 2018)
Windows 10
Intel i7 8th Generation (turbo boost up to 4.1GHz)
16GB DDR4 RAM
256GB PCIE SSD for OS/ 1TB SSHD for storage
Nvidia GTX1070 max-q
UAD Apollo x8p/ Asio4all
Pro Tools 19.5