Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2009, 07:59 PM

Default Please, please, please...

...fix the stuff that we all need...

I absolutely love PT8's simplicity and GUI but hate it's shortcomings - given the slimline design and feature set it really should be working perfectly and be the benchmark for straight ahead, efficient recording. I can live without all the extra fancy stuff that other DAWS have but only if the fundamental product works perfectly and does so efficiently. Other DAWS have everything but are sterile and complicated - I only came back for the excellent Eleven Rack and PT8's perfect interface but this product really needs to [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]ing step up. I got sucked back in and am still having problems.

ADC, latest OS compatibility in a timeous manner, solid reliability, quick and open betas, etc. Give us Ableton Live business ethics on PT8's platform please.

For example, I have the Axiom Pro which works well with Ableton Live and Logic Pro but is completely borked on Pro Tools 8 yet both M-Audio and PT are AVID companies. Your product works better on third party software. Come on guys........
Old 10-21-2009, 09:30 PM

Default Re: Please, please, please...

While I respect your opinion, mine is decidedly different. I find that my PT system is very solid and does about everything I need it to do, and does it well. I live without ADC(yes I would like that one) by choosing my plugins carefully and honestly rarely give it a thought. I have read several reviews of the Axiom Pro(which is on my wish list) and all have said its integration with Pro Tools was excellent(maybe you have a driver issue?). Meanwhile, my neighbor's Mac/DP system crashes almost daily. All DAWs are capable of sounding sterile(generally, the do it naturally and the engineer must work to warm it up). I also NEVER jump on any update of OS or PT without waiting at least a few weeks to read what folks here have to say. I made that mistake on the first cs1 for PT8 and it was a disaster that I quickly recovered from as I ALWAYS have a backup plan(cloned system drive in this case). The Eleven rack looks like a killer so I hope you get your troubles sorted out.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-22-2009, 05:45 AM

I am just really frustrated at some of the things which could really make PT8 a great app. I have sold up and moved on a few times but I always come back to PT because it theoretically does what I need in a manner which suits me. I am perpetually in hope they will get resolved "this time". ADC, artificial limitations, etc are all easy fixes but brave business decisions that must be made.

Then there are just some stupid business decisions. Like creating the MBox Micro so I can use PT away from my desk (thank you) then forcing me to buy another license for PT8 along with it (no thanks).

It's not another whinge thread - just a polite request to anyone at Digi who might be reading to start competing so I can stop having to use other products. They can do it and the Eleven rack is a perfect example of what they can do when they get it right.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:55 AM

I feel your pain(and completely agree re. the micro and more software). Did they really get the Eleven rack perfect, or is it too soon to hear any complaints? ADC is not a deal breaker for me and as for artificial limitations....it wasn't that long ago that a million dollar studio only had 24 tracks(maybe 46 with 2 machines and 2 tracks lost to SMPTE). I guess I just work differently

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-22-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Did they really get the Eleven rack perfect, or is it too soon to hear any complaints?
Well, "perfect" is perhaps too strong a word but it's not half bad. Hardware knobs and switches feel like a real amp, the software integration is good and to my ears it is the best sounding amp sim on the market at that price point. Could have done with an extra mic pre but it's not a show stopper for me.

D.