Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2013, 04:24 PM

Default My last straw.

Windows 7, Pro tools 10.3.6 and 11.0.0

Focusrite saffire pro 40.

For the last 6 months I've been reinstalling windows on a monthly basis, checking, updating, removing and reinstalling drivers to try and find a damn culprit for my constant onslaught of issues with Pro tools. I haven't been able to come to my computer and work on a session ONCE in the past six months without some kind of error or a session needing to be restarted.

This is completely outrageous I look like a fool in front of clients and have to hold off on my work because of these tech problems.

I thought maybe the saffire pro 40 sample rate was changing between sessions and causing me to close and reopen the session at the desired sample rate. Well that wasn't it.

Tried trashing the pref's folder, not that either.

I've done all the recommended optimizations from Sweetwater and Avid and honestly my machine seems to run slower and has more errors than ever before. This is getting completely unusable.

Money won't allow me to switch platforms at this time. What do I do?

I've had waves and focusrite tech support on the case to no avail. I'm lost and honestly about to just leave PT alone until I can afford a mac.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Computer specs here - http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/rec...-computer.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PT11 ERROR.jpg (10.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-11-2013, 04:46 PM

Default Re: My last straw.

The 1155 socket is an issue. All on board die graphics have always been a problem. Looking at your link it seems you are using the on board graphics and no vid card. That is numero uno imo.

400w PSU is a bit low imo. They never perform at peak power. Need overhead for this reason. I would not go below around 700W or so.

Also can not vouch for your ssd. There are some that are working much better than others.

Its not going to cause your problems, but, higher cache drives (your audio drive is 16 mb cache) do perform better. 32 or 64mb are your best bets.

There is also a lot of issues I have seen on the Focusrite drivers. Might do a search for them specifically as well.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 09-11-2013, 05:33 PM

2 Major things stick out to me right away when looking at your specs.

1. I didnt see a graphics card listed. You should not be using on board graphics, This is just asking for it...

2. You have a PCIE add on firewire card. What kind of chipset is it based off of? You should only be running a card based off a Texas Instruments (TI) chipset. It will be printed on the card if it is one.

Also, I don't know what you have installed on your computer, but if you are running it in a professional environment there should be nothing on it except the OS, Pro Tools, your drivers and plugins. I wouldnt install anything else on there and keep all other files on a external hard drive.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:51 PM

Definitely a hardware issue! As mentioned, dedicated graphics and and fw controller are two standouts. I just switched to a Mac Pro myself. Thinking of selling my Pro Tools PC build for a nice price if you're interested.

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15
Old 09-11-2013, 06:52 PM

In Summary:

The SIIG 3-port Firewire card uses a TI chip. I used one with my 002 with no issues. Should be OK.

WD Green for backup might be OK, but I wouldn't use a blue for the audio drive. WD Black 32 or 64 MB cache.

Socket 1155 works sometimes but not others. Socket 2011 is rock solid.

On board video often a no go.

400w Power supply probably too small.

Also, probably wouldn't hurt to make sure your memory is tuned up for your specific setup.

Greg
Intel i7 3930K, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 (rev 1.0), 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidea GT 720 TI video card, a Samsung 850 Pro (256 GB) OS drive, 2 Samsung 850 Pro's (512 GB) in externally mounted drive bays for session and sample storage, Win 10 Pro, PT Ultimate (Native)2019.10, HD Omni, HD I/O 16x16 .
Old 09-11-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachMusicProductions View Post
This is completely outrageous I look like a fool in front of clients and have to hold off on my work because of these tech problems.
Not sure why you'd have an attitude like this when clearly you didn't look at, or take any notice of this thread before jumping in and buying what is an average platform at best;

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=238426

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 09-12-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
The 1155 socket is an issue. All on board die graphics have always been a problem. Looking at your link it seems you are using the on board graphics and no vid card. That is numero uno imo.

400w PSU is a bit low imo. They never perform at peak power. Need overhead for this reason. I would not go below around 700W or so.

Also can not vouch for your ssd. There are some that are working much better than others.

Its not going to cause your problems, but, higher cache drives (your audio drive is 16 mb cache) do perform better. 32 or 64mb are your best bets.

There is also a lot of issues I have seen on the Focusrite drivers. Might do a search for them specifically as well.
What is wrong with the onboard graphics card? I figured the 400w psu would be underpowered but my roomate who designs computers said that it would be sufficient.

The Crucial M4 has got some great reviews and has been the most solid part of the entire build thus far.

I also mistakenly bought the WD Blue drive for audio without doing the proper research.

Definitely seen a lot of issues with Focusrite drivers and PT lately on both platforms which is sucks because they make great boxes for the money.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesackic View Post
2 Major things stick out to me right away when looking at your specs.

1. I didnt see a graphics card listed. You should not be using on board graphics, This is just asking for it...

2. You have a PCIE add on firewire card. What kind of chipset is it based off of? You should only be running a card based off a Texas Instruments (TI) chipset. It will be printed on the card if it is one.

Also, I don't know what you have installed on your computer, but if you are running it in a professional environment there should be nothing on it except the OS, Pro Tools, your drivers and plugins. I wouldnt install anything else on there and keep all other files on a external hard drive.
Whats wrong with the onboard graphics?

The card I bought is a texas instruments chipset card and focusrite proclaimed it worth of use with the pro 40 and pt.

Definitely only the OS pro tools and plugins on this machine.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
Not sure why you'd have an attitude like this when clearly you didn't look at, or take any notice of this thread before jumping in and buying what is an average platform at best;

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=238426
At the time I wasn't a pro tools user, I used reaper. It runs flawlessly on this system, but I am now a pro tools user, hence this thread and my dilemma. I don't think I have an attitude about it either. This was the first thing I built for my home studio and at the time I didn't have close to the amount of knowledge and resource material I do now. Live and learn.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachMusicProductions View Post
Whats wrong with the onboard graphics?
everything, there like the disruptive kid in school

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig