Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2013, 09:09 AM

Default Re: In time, internet recording

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyDazzler View Post
The latency induced will make this a royal PITA. If you are playing along with the rest of the guys, by the time the sound is encoded and sent their way, its probably going to take a minimum of 200ms. So the rest of the band would have to mute you during the record and then re sync after the take.
I think what happens is a low quality audio is sent in time, and the full audio file sent afterwards. Do you think there will still be a latency issue?

Thanks for your input.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:52 AM

Consult God about recording from two distant and remote place live at the same time. The physics of sound, switching and packet networks and even the sped of light come into play. You can over dub.... i.e. one side live and the other side playback.... but both sides live ain't gonna happen.

specifically by the time the audio is encoded, sent and decoded and heard.... that moment will have passed by and so there is no way to react live to something that is at least 100ms out of time.

As it has been explained to me even people on either end of a foot ball field can't really play in time together because at the speed of sound they are almost if not more than 20ms apart. 20ms is starting to get into musical time; especially if you are recording and not just jamming or writing.

some have claimed that you will get used to the delay... but I think that is BS. The delay will make it usable for entertainment purposes only, but professional recording will be hampered by a latency of more than 50ms (if not less)......... i think.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:59 AM

thanks for the response. I hear ya. It seems like it couldn't work, but,
How on earth could they sell this stuff ( source-connect, etc ), if it didn't work?
Isn't that the main point of it?

I can overdub tracks to files people send me all day long without any extra stuff, so I can't imagine anyone buying this if it didn't do that. hmmmmm

Anyone here that has used this?
Old 01-29-2013, 10:12 AM

Source Connect, AFAIK, is more an ISDN for voiceover replacement, not for musical collaboration in real-time.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 01-29-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Source Connect, AFAIK, is more an ISDN for voiceover replacement, not for musical collaboration in real-time.

Cheers,
I see. That makes sense. An also with digital musician that you mentioned previously?
Old 01-29-2013, 10:43 AM

exactly

SC and ISDN are widely used for real time sessions for mix approvals with picture lock, voice over acquisition and ADR sessions (voice acquisition w/ picture lock). They are more popular in post production than in music production.

Those "post" uses are the main uses of Source Connect and ISDN, but it is certainly possible to use them for music overdubs as well. After all, a music overdub is basically the same as an ADR session locking to a background track instead of a background + picture.

The advantage is real time feedback and as an engineer, once you have it you have it.... no d*cking around with file transfers, importing and lining up after the record..etc. The near realtime nature of SC and ISDN is especially useful if you are trying to match the sound of a previous recording or are on a tight deadline.

Its just that playing in two separate locations live at the same time presents physics issues that I don't think can be "programed" around.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmix View Post
exactly

SC and ISDN are widely used for real time sessions for mix approvals with picture lock, voice over acquisition and ADR sessions (voice acquisition w/ picture lock). They are more popular in post production than in music production.

Those "post" uses are the main uses of Source Connect and ISDN, but it is certainly possible to use them for music overdubs as well. After all, a music overdub is basically the same as an ADR session locking to a background track instead of a background + picture.

The advantage is real time feedback and as an engineer, once you have it you have it.... no d*cking around with file transfers, importing and lining up after the record..etc. The near realtime nature of SC and ISDN is especially useful if you are trying to match the sound of a previous recording or are on a tight deadline.

Its just that playing in two separate locations live at the same time presents physics issues that I don't think can be "programed" around.
Good info. I appreciate it.