Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 02-26-2011, 07:01 PM

Default Is cross grading to PT9 worth it?

What's the advantage of cross grade?
Now this is what I've deduced from researching the DUC, Please correct me if I've got any facts wrong.
Protools 9 will not work with windows XP.
You surrender your PT8.4 licence when you upgrade to PT9.
PT9 cross grade costs $279 (that's for a box in Australia, I want a disc)
Now this is my logic, Please pull it to bits if it's wrong.
I am currently very happily working with PT LE 8.4 on my desktop with Windows XP pro SP3. I have recently acquired a Macbook pro 13" 2.4 latest model and an Apogee Duet. I want to do some travelling and tracking. So I thought PT9 would be good for the macbook with the Duet . I continue with PT8.4 on my Desktop box for mixing. So I'm thinking cross grade as the cost effective solution? If I cross grade do I lose my 8.4? Do I have to say Goodbye happy desktop? So I upgrade to windows 7? $399. plus protools upgrade $279.=$678.
Protools 9 full edition $639.
This is all in Australian dollars.
can anyone correct me?. I'd love to find out I've got it all wrong.

Protools LE 8.4 MBox 2 Factory Q6600 Box with Windows XP 3 4G ram 3 hard drives. UA 1 card. all running smooth and strong.
Macbook 13" 2.4 , 4G ram OSX 10.6.6, Apogee Duet.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:55 PM

Default Re: Is cross grading to PT9 worth it?

You do not lose your PT 8 license. It's not Ilok based, so there's nothing to surrender. You can keep using it. The crossgrade price for PT 9 is based on the serial number of your hardware interface (003, Mbox 2, etc.).
Old 02-26-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
You do not lose your PT 8 license. It's not Ilok based, so there's nothing to surrender. You can keep using it. The crossgrade price for PT 9 is based on the serial number of your hardware interface (003, Mbox 2, etc.).
The exception to this would be Pro Tools M-Powered, which DOES use iLok. In that case, I recommend buying another iLok so the original M-P license is still working on the old iLok.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-26-2011, 08:16 PM

I was under the impression that the m-powered crossgrade surrendered the Ver 8 Lic.

And I have LE8 and M-powered 8. I did the LE crossgrade, and can still use LE 8 or 9. and My M-powered lic coexists with my 9 lic on my ilok. I use all three versions and my m-powered 7.4 lic. They are all on the same iLok. (of course LE 8 is still tied to my mbox.)
Old 02-26-2011, 08:43 PM

You are right about the M-Powered. However, the original poster mentioned he was on PT LE, and lists the Mbox 2 in his signature, so my response was with that in mind.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowdytom View Post
What's the advantage of cross grade?
Windows 7 is a fantastic OS. I have it running on three of my Macs. One Mac runs Windows 7 pretty much exclusively (my Mac Mini, which is my Home Theater PC).

With Windows 7, you can install the 64-bit version. While Pro Tools is currently a 32-bit application and cannot take full advantage of the increased memory access, it is still a nice thing to have access to. With the availability of cheap memory, you can install 8gB of RAM and have a rather zippy system.

Pro Tools 9 is as stable as Pro Tools LE 8 was for me. The added benefit of automatic delay compensation is great and was one of the main reasons I upgraded. The other is the fact that you can now use third-party hardware. I now have a mobile setup that is light-years better than my old 003 Rack setup. I generally do mobile work, and now I have two 2U racks that I can use either separately or together. Fantastic.

If you do decide to upgrade, please clone your drive and keep Pro Tools LE 8 available. Worst case scenario you can say "screw it" and just hop back to Pro Tools LE.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:02 PM

First of all THANKS for your prompt and helpful responses.
That's great to know nst7 I was confused because my factory version of PT requires an ilok that must just for the factory tools. I just launched PT8.4 on my desktop without the ilok for the first time in 3 years lol.
Thanks again for all the help
Old 02-26-2011, 10:57 PM

In previous Protools versions, the Ilok was for the factory plugins, not for the basic Protools program. The factory plugins are treated similar to 3rd party plugins that use Ilok.

Now with Protools 9, the actual Protools program uses the Ilok also. So in the future, if you need to use PT9 on 2 computers at the same time, then you would need 2 licenses. When Protools 10 comes out, then you will surrender the PT9 license. But right now is a transition period as they're changing everything over, so you're able to keep PT 7 or 8, while also being able to use 9.

For those who had M-Powered, that was also previously authorized by Ilok, so in that case they have to surrender their earlier version.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowdytom View Post
I just launched PT8.4 on my desktop
Just to be clear, you have 8.0.4 I presume. No such thing as 8.4. 8.1 yes...
Old 02-27-2011, 06:01 PM

Yes it is the last ever release of protools LE 8 I thought it was 8.4.Thanks for clearing that up formfunction.
Just to be clear nst7, I will be able to run protools LE 8.0.4 factory and protools 9 on both my computers with one Ilok, just not at the same time?
Thanks for the info on Windows 7 getz76. When I built my desktop for protools a couple of years ago Windows XP was the DUC favourite. I know vista is a horror show, so are you telling me windows 7 is a good reliable platform?